VOGONS

First post, by RetroWolf92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For about 2 years I've had my SC-55 and been pretty happy with it, but I have it set up in a very basic manner. Just an RCA to Aux cable to run the audio directly into my PC's rear Mic/Aux In port. I was recommended to get an Amp for it, but I have no idea what I should look for.

Reply 1 of 6, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You need consider what was being recommended --- 'an Amp for it' tends to suggest audio power amplifier... ie; connect the SC-55 to a separate amp/speaker set, and not use the audio output/amp/speakers connected to your computer. OTOH if it was a pre-amp, we're talking about balancing the line out of the SC-55 to the AUX in (line in) of your computer...so, like, it depends on what you're referring to here....ie; 'pre-amp' can also mean 'mixer'...

...what deficiency are you trying to address here with your current setup?

Reply 2 of 6, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, there's probably no need for this IMO. I mean, one can always spend more on one's audio gear - but it depends as Clam says, what are you hoping to accomplish with the new gear.

I had a SC-55 that was busted and one channel was not outputting correct volume, for years. Still have fantastic memories of playing the oldies with it. Although I recommend repairing sooner than I did 😉

Reply 3 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed.

SC-55 outputs line level so you can/should treat it like anything else at line level.

Mine goes into a mixer shared with other MIDI modules and the vintage PCs that talk to them and outputs to a set of active studio monitor loudspeakers (and had an extra output I lead to the line-in on my desktop PC), if you want to go all audiophile (which is sort of nonsense on what boils down to a 1990s low-end synth), get the line level and feed it into whatever high-end amp you feel you need, again like any other line-level output.

Reply 4 of 6, by RetroWolf92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dunno. When I was first setting up my SC-55 and posting about my initial trouble (of which was a bad MIDI to USB converter cable and incorrect set up) I was recommended to plug it into an amp or preamp before passing the audio to my computer. I assume it has something to do with having finer control over it's volume, bass, treble, etc.

Reply 5 of 6, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don’t think there will be much value to adding an amp. The sc55 has an amp built in, and you can also adjust the volume on the line in on your computer so that’s already 2x. An equalizer or a mixer is a different story but I don’t necessarily see an amp providing a lot of value.

Reply 6 of 6, by RetroWolf92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see. Another thing I'm wondering about is if there's any way to throttle the input/output speed on a USB port because I was told that some playback issues I have (like some Doom MIDIs not looping properly) are caused by the ports being too fast.