VOGONS

First post, by Lathe26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[Apologies in advance if this is already well known]

The Yamaha DB51XG wavetable card has a small extra connector on it called CN2. As a mini-project this weekend, I researched it and thought I'd share what I found.

• The connector has 5 pins. One is GND, 3 are various clock outputs, and 1 is data output.
  • The data output is a 24-bit digital audio signal, though the bottom 2 bits are hardcoded as zeros leaving 22-bits of actual audio signal.
  • There are no inputs via CN2.

Related to the above, I noticed someplaces on the 'net didn't know if the DB51XG's D/A converter was 16-bit or 18-bit (the analog output goes back out the WaveBlaster connector). While the D/A converter support both formats (NEC uPD63200), it is confirmed that the DB51XG configures its D/A for 18-bit audio.

I have more technical details about the CN2 connector listed in my Github page, but I'm not sure what Vogon's policy is for folks to provide URLs to to their own content. Most sites are ok with it but places consider that self-promotion and is frowned upon.

Edit: fixed where A/D was mentioned instead of correct D/A

Attachments

Last edited by Lathe26 on 2023-12-25, 18:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you mean D/A converter, which is indeed 18bit on the card.

It has not been a problem at all here to have links to things like this. It is nice to know the extra connectors appears to be another sound output ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 5, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Surrat wrote on 2023-12-25, 08:52:

Is there any reason to choose one of these over a DB50XG other than its smaller?

Afaik, these were made specificly for the Korg NX5R. They were never sold separately.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster