VOGONS

First post, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, looking for some insight.

Right now I got a P3 1Ghz /Voodoo/Geforce 4 Setup with a Yamaha 719S + Mccake WP32 and a Soundblaster Live 5.1 Soundcard.

Unfortunately, the Yamaha sometimes doesn't work with some games and the McCake produces a cacophony most of the time. I spend more trime fixing this junk than actually using it...
I tried two different Yamaha cards and the whole MT32 emulation is just starting to annoy me more than anything.

I have two ISA slots free if I remove the Yamaha/MT32 combo and am wondering what I should get instead. One or two ISA cards for DOS use?

-I value simplicity and max compatibility
-I don't need the most authentic of MT32 sounds as I've now come to realize. I think I'd be fine with the AWE's emulation of that.

If I get the AWE32 I *could* try to use the McCake board with that I suppose. On the other hand, the AWE64 seems tempting. Maybe in combination with an older card?

Any input appreciated

Reply 1 of 10, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which games have you been trying to play and having issues with?

For DOS gaming on a Pentium III, you're really looking at non-CPU sensitive titles which is mostly games from 1993 and onward. This is into the era of General MIDI support and past the general era of MT-32 support. In that respect, the WP32 is a bit of a mismatch for this setup.

Are you specifically trying to use the WP32 with MT-32 support? Or for General Midi support?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 10, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Most AWE32 have the "hanging note bug(s)", and the ones that does not have the bugs, usually doesn't have authentic OPL. To summarize: There are no perfect Sound Blaster-cards for this purpose, unless you're willing to let the OPL go. In my Pentium 3, which is mainly for use with Windows games, I do run an AWE32 and a Sound Blaster Live! The prior for DOS-compatibility for the demanding games of the DOS-era like Carmageddon and Transport Tycoon. The Live! for games using EAX. The AWE32 actually has a list of compatible games, although slim, but AWE64 have even less, although you don't have to worry about "hanging note bugs". Using AWE64, you would lack a wavetable header, an OPL chip and you also need special RAM-boards, unless you mod your card.

Akumajō Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 3 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The best Single-Card solution for late DOS is the MK8330, with its C-Media 8330 giving the holy grail of full SB16 compatibility and truly bug-free MIDI, and digital output, 1:1 OPL3 clone and WSS to boot. Keropi and Marmes' design also gives top notch quality and no noise

Might be a bit expensive so single card alternatives are:

- other CMI8330 cards (like the AV310). All the features of the MK8330, just a bit flimsier. Even has a decent (upside-down) wavetable header.
- a card with ALS100 (*NOT* 100Plus) chipset. Basically same specs, same challenges too

Now, one thing you don't get with any of them is AWE/EMu8k. For that you need a two-card solution, with the AWE card giving you AWE and SB16 and the other card doing SBPro2, WSS, OPL3 and MIDI.

My go-to 'other' card is anything Aztech 2316 or 2320 based, although OPTi 929 is pretty equivalent. If 1:1 OPL3 and WSS isn't needed, ESS16xx/18xx and CS423x based cards are fine too.

Best match AWE card IMHO is the CT3670, which is basically an AWE64 with two SIMM slots for as much RAM as you want (up to max 28MB). Usually cheaper than AWE32 or 64, but beats the lot of them in features, only the AWE64 Gold with RAM expansion is better with RCA connectors and optical out, but that is a lot more expensive. Of course, no OPL3 on the 64, but the other card already takes care of that.

Reply 4 of 10, by S95Sedan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tempus wrote on 2023-12-27, 20:59:

Most AWE32 have the "hanging note bug(s)", and the ones that does not have the bugs, usually doesn't have authentic OPL. To summarize: There are no perfect Sound Blaster-cards for this purpose, unless you're willing to let the OPL go. In my Pentium 3, which is mainly for use with Windows games, I do run an AWE32 and a Sound Blaster Live! The prior for DOS-compatibility for the demanding games of the DOS-era like Carmageddon and Transport Tycoon. The Live! for games using EAX. The AWE32 actually has a list of compatible games, although slim, but AWE64 have even less, although you don't have to worry about "hanging note bugs". Using AWE64, you would lack a wavetable header, an OPL chip and you also need special RAM-boards, unless you mod your card.

The hanging not bug isnt an issue anymore.
All creative cards with a seperate dsp chip (ct1741) can be fixed to not have it. All you need is a socketed dsp and a replacement plcc44 eeprom.

Reply 5 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
S95Sedan wrote on 2023-12-28, 17:57:

[...]

All creative cards with a seperate dsp chip (ct1741) can be fixed to not have it. All you need is a socketed dsp and a replacement plcc44 eeprom.

Given quite a few SB16/AWE cards for not have socketed CT1741, I'd say it very much is still an issue.to bear in mind.

Last edited by dionb on 2023-12-31, 11:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the MT32-pi doesn’t work correctly it is likely an issue with the MPU-401 and not the MT32-pi/McCake.
If you wouldn’t have other issues with your Yamaha card I would have suggested to try SoftMPU.
Imho it would still be worth trying the McCake again with a different card.

Reply 7 of 10, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to throw in a recommendation for an ess card since it hasn’t been mentioned yet. If you’re looking for dos games, good compatibility, and good MIDI support, I’d recommend an ess. It’ll sound better when using opl than an awe64 and most awe32s. No hanging note or other midi bugs also.

Reply 8 of 10, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have a link as to how this can be done?

Reply 9 of 10, by S95Sedan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
orcish75 wrote on 2024-01-02, 00:10:

Do you have a link as to how this can be done?

Topic: The Soundblaster DSP project
This should be the rom with most fixes (4.13 patch5): Re: The Soundblaster DSP project

Reply 10 of 10, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
S95Sedan wrote on 2024-01-02, 14:52:

Topic: The Soundblaster DSP project
This should be the rom with most fixes (4.13 patch5): Re: The Soundblaster DSP project

Excellent, thanks!