VOGONS

First post, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hy

My problem is that after launch old Doom 1 under dos 6.22 fx sounds and music are very bad. Everything is distorted, slow, computer and keyboard are responding very slow. It is hard to exit to dos again. Other games have normal sound and music for example Dune 2, Monkey Island, Lands of Lore. SB is set :220 i5 d1 h5 330. Diagnose and ctcu not showing any conflicts. Setup is intel 486 dx266, 16 mb, pci Matrox. Benchmark shows normal speed of CPU. Mobo is um8810paio v 1.1 with 256k cache. I've checked BIOS settings and I thik everything is set ok (reset do defaults). Other games under dos run fast. In ISA slot is only Soundblaster, in PCI slot SVGA Matrox. Autoexec and config.sys from philscomputerlab, drivers also. Could be a problem with old Bios?

Reply 2 of 30, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can You take a look at my bios and config. Performance is so poor for 486 dx2. Maybe this is the reason of that sound issue. 3d bench 1.0 shows only 13.6. In PCI slot is Matrox MGA it sholud be faster than idą svga.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 30, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Post a photo of the chipset portion of the BIOS. Also set the Gate A20 to fast/high.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 4 of 30, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More photos. Thx for a tip about Gate .

Attachments

Reply 7 of 30, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does it run better if you disable soundcard in the setup?

66MHz will be okay-ish for DOOM engine, but will run smoothest in Pentium 133 (minimum) for a retro setup.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 30, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've done some more tests.

I run doom benchmark from philscomputerlab. With no sound run normal without issues. Lookin on my infosys IRQ I'am worried about Interrupt Name: 10 Video where owner is CTMOUSE.

Update:
I've checked jumper settings on mobo for DX266 - seem correct. But...I've noticed that my 2 x 8 mb ram is in bank 2 and 3 - and manual show that should be in bank 0 and 1. When I'll back home I have to check it.

Reply 9 of 30, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
System BIOS Cacheable : Enabled
Video BIOS Cacheable : Enabled

Slow Refresh (1/4 Freq) : Enabled

IDE HDD Block Mode : Enabled
IDE 32-bit Transfer Mode : Enabled

Also try these settings too

HOST-to-PCI Burst Write : Enabled
PCI Posted Memory Write : Enabled
Burst Copy-Back Option : Enabled

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB

Reply 11 of 30, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If SpeedSys screenshot is correct, you have an Matrox Impression VGA card, which is far from being fast in DOS/VGA modes. Try swapping it with other PCI video card such as S3 Trio64 and check if everything is running fine - at least DX2-66 with all caches enabled and VLB\PCI graphics should be fine for 20-30ish FPS performance in DOOM

--wbcbz7

Reply 12 of 30, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So what I have done:
- changed settings in bios as suggested in your replies - system works ok, no errors
- changed music card to SB vibra16.
- changed video card to PCI S3virge
- now score in 3dBench 1.0 is 47,5 for 486dx266
- checked with manual cache and cpu jumpers on mobo
- disabled com2 and parallel port in Bios.
- tested ram and put to 0 and 1 bank
- Install Hexen, the same issue as Doom. Slowdowns and distorted sound. Hard to exit to dos because keyboard act like is broken.
- When I setup only music in Doom and Hexen, games run fast, but music after start the game is just for one second and gone. When I exit game, other games dont see SB, and no sound. After reset other games like Sq4, Monkey Island and Settlers sound and music are ok.

Reply 13 of 30, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm afraid there could be an issue with ISA DMA on this motherboard. Could you please run T8237 utility first without any ISA sound card installed, and then with sound card initialized? Another possible way to test ISA DMA is to check if you can boot from floppy disk, as floppy transfers use DMA.
If your processor support Write-Back cache, try setting your CPU jumpers to WB mode.
Additionally, try to move soundcard to another DMA channel (0 or 3, instead of 1 - UNISOUND makes it easy on PnP cards by means of tweaking the BLASTER variable).
Updating the BIOS (if it is stored in the Flash EEPROM) may also fix the issue, although I'm not sure if there is newer version for your motherboard.

--wbcbz7

Reply 14 of 30, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cadderlik wrote on 2024-01-05, 22:37:
So what I have done: - changed settings in bios as suggested in your replies - system works ok, no errors - changed music card t […]
Show full quote

So what I have done:
- changed settings in bios as suggested in your replies - system works ok, no errors
- changed music card to SB vibra16.
- changed video card to PCI S3virge
- now score in 3dBench 1.0 is 47,5 for 486dx266
- checked with manual cache and cpu jumpers on mobo
- disabled com2 and parallel port in Bios.
- tested ram and put to 0 and 1 bank
- Install Hexen, the same issue as Doom. Slowdowns and distorted sound. Hard to exit to dos because keyboard act like is broken.
- When I setup only music in Doom and Hexen, games run fast, but music after start the game is just for one second and gone. When I exit game, other games dont see SB, and no sound. After reset other games like Sq4, Monkey Island and Settlers sound and music are ok.

I don't know exactly what your problem with the sound is unfortunately.
But your timing settings are really slow. Speedsys shows that you are on par with a DX2-50.
So you only changed the PCI settings, is it correct?
Usually you can have fastest timings on a 33MHz bus.

Please try and change the following:
Auto Configuration => Disabled.
Then: DRAM Read wait states => 0 WS
DRAM Write wait states => 0 WS
L2 cache wait states => 2-1-1-1. That one should work 100%! I am not 100% sure, if the 2 DRAM wait states setting to zero will work, you have to stability test it.
Memory hole below 16MB => Set this to disabled!

If you don't mind you could post a screenshot again with your latest settings to let us double-check.
EDIT: Please keep also the suggestions from dominusprog.

Reply 15 of 30, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you using an ISA riser card? Also, I noticed that the ISA clock is set too high.

Keyboard Controller Clock : 16Mhz
ISA Bus Clock Option : PCICLKI/6

Duke_2600.png

Reply 16 of 30, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No I dont use rider card. I've changed event at 240 i7 D3 H7 the same dostortion in Doom and Hexen. Changed isa slot what more. My actual Bios. Score in 4dBench

Attachments

Reply 17 of 30, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Decrease the ISA bus speed, second screenshot. Right now the ISA is working at 16.5MHz, 66/4=16.5.

ISA Bus Clock Option : PCICLKI/6

Also increase the keyboard controller clock.

Keyboard Controller Clock : 16Mhz
Last edited by dominusprog on 2024-01-06, 16:35. Edited 3 times in total.

Duke_2600.png

Reply 18 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cadderlik wrote on 2024-01-04, 15:28:

Autoexec and config.sys from philscomputerlab, drivers also.

Have you tried different drivers? There a few different versions of the Creative Labs drivers floating around and not all of them work properly in my experience.

What worked for me were the drivers that Joseph_Joestar posted here: Re: Issues with AWE32 (CT3900) music and FM playback under DOS

You can also try the UNISOUND driver as an alternative: UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.80a

The other issue with Doom-engine games specifically is I find they require a clean boot or a sound card re-initialization, otherwise distortion will happen on Creative Labs cards like the AWE32. If you are testing games like Doom and Heretic, make sure to do from a clean boot before trying any other games.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 19 of 30, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cadderlik wrote on 2024-01-06, 16:15:

No I dont use rider card. I've changed event at 240 i7 D3 H7 the same dostortion in Doom and Hexen. Changed isa slot what more. My actual Bios. Score in 4dBench

But the performance problem is now solved. Do you agree?
Superscape 50.0 seems ok / good.