VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have attached a pic of the same model of K2y-Pro16 I have recently acquired. The CD Audio ports on the card are labeled Sony, Mitsumi, and Panasonic. Does this mean that I need a compatible drive from one of those brands for CD Audio to work, or is one of them also plain-IDE compatible, or can I use any one of the ports? I am swapping cards around and need to dig out a couple of cables before I can test. The CD-ROM drive in my 486 is an NEC Quad Speed (CDR-273.)

Also, does anyone know if there is anything else I should know about this sound card? I couldn't locate Diamond-specific drivers, but I used a driver from the Dos Days site and got the test 8-bit and 16-bit sound tests to play. I also notice a daughterboard connector. I have a generic daughterboard and I think I have either a Wave Blaster 1 or 2 and am thinking about buying the Dream blaster.

Many thanks!
Scythifuge

Attachments

• s-l1600 (4).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    File size
    199.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-01-12, 22:36:

The CD Audio ports on the card are labeled Sony, Mitsumi, and Panasonic. Does this mean that I need a compatible drive from one of those brands for CD Audio to work, or is one of them also plain-IDE compatible, or can I use any one of the ports?

The CD-AUDIO inputs are wired in parallel to each other. They do the same thing.
The sony one has a different shape and pinout because sony...
The other 2 ones also share the same signals but have a different pinout.

if i look at the back of the card : the sony connector is Signal|GND|GND|Signal , Mitsumi is Signal|GND|Signal|GND , and Panasonic is GND|Signal|GND|Signal

In this case IDE has nothing to do with it. The manufacturer of your cd drive decides the pinout for Audio...

Your CDR-273 seems to use the Sony pinout with GND on the 2 center pins.

Now you need a cable that either is a 1:1 sony style , or a different cable wich adapts pne pinout to another pinout/connector.

Last edited by DerBaum on 2024-01-12, 23:30. Edited 1 time in total.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 2 of 8, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-12, 23:27:
The CD-AUDIO inputs are wired in parallel to each other. They do the same thing. The sony one has a different shape and pinout b […]
Show full quote

The CD Audio ports on the card are labeled Sony, Mitsumi, and Panasonic. Does this mean that I need a compatible drive from one of those brands for CD Audio to work, or is one of them also plain-IDE compatible, or can I use any one of the ports?

The CD-AUDIO inputs are wired in parallel to each other. They do the same thing.

if i look at the back of the card : the sony connector is Signal|GND|GND|Signal , Mitsumi is Signal|GND|Signal|GND , and Panasonic is GND|Signal|GND|Signal

In this case IDE has nothing to do with it. The manufacturer of your cd drive decides the pinout for Audio...

Many thanks!

Reply 4 of 8, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-12, 23:27:
The CD-AUDIO inputs are wired in parallel to each other. They do the same thing. The sony one has a different shape and pinout b […]
Show full quote

Now you need a cable that either is a 1:1 sony style , or a different cable wich adapts pne pinout to another pinout/connector.

Perhaps this? It is universal with the classic drive brands:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324917135460?hash=it … vAAAOSwHxNhqF5j

Reply 5 of 8, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-01-13, 00:15:

Perhaps this?

That is a pretty expensive cable...
But yes it works.
You can always take any cable that has fitting connectors and repin the connectors if even needed.
I just use a needle for repinning.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 6 of 8, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-13, 00:28:
That is a pretty expensive cable... But yes it works. You can always take any cable that has fitting connectors and repin the co […]
Show full quote
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-01-13, 00:15:

Perhaps this?

That is a pretty expensive cable...
But yes it works.
You can always take any cable that has fitting connectors and repin the connectors if even needed.
I just use a needle for repinning.

Thank you! I wish I had a suitable cable lying around. I need a floppy-style connector on the sound card end. I want to say that I used to have a cd audio cable with multiple ends, but I probably lost it along with many other parts during a move or two, over the years.

Reply 8 of 8, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried the same cable that my AWE32 was using with the NEC quad speed. It works with the Panasonic port, so I don't need to buy that expensive cable! I still need to find a way to test to make sure that the left/right channels are not switched. However, I now need to find another one just like the AWE32 cable, since I am putting it in a P3 system to use with Moslo Deluxe to emulate a Pentium 166 with a Voodoo 3, a Voodoo 1, and Windows 95 OSR2.

My 486 with "my very first sound card" is almost complete, hehe!