VOGONS

First post, by Ralf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I have some configuration problems with my SBEmulation....

System:
CPU: AMD Duron 800
Mainboard: Asus A7VL-VM
=> Chips: VIA VT82C686B, VIA VT8364, Creative ES1373 (Audio PCI)
RAM: 256 MB
Optical: DVD-ROM Drive - Secondary Master
PCI-Card: Cheap Chinese SIL 3114 clone
HDD1: 1x 320 GB (3 drives on 2 partitions) - Primary Master
HDD2: 1x 1 TB (1 partition) - Sil3114

HDD1 is a SATA drive attached with a SATA to IDE converter recognized and manually configurate with the acutal size of 320 GB in the BIOS. The primary partition and the first logical drive are below 120 GB, so they are accessible without problems by Windows 98 setup or Windows 98 start disk without 48 bit LBA support.

HDD2 is attached on the SIL3114 card (flashed with the SATALink NON RAID BIOS) and works fine after installation of drivers in Windows 98

Software Configuration and Drivers:
Windows 98SE
VIA 4 in 1 Chipset Drivers
S3 ProSavage Display Drivers
VIA 68mu220a Driver Pack for sound
SIL3114 drivers
ESDI_506 (updated to support 48 bit LBA)
NUSB v2.4

I'm using this system to play old Windows games and the configuration works quite well. I have a problem with the HDD attached to my SIL3114 in Windows 98 - DOS-Mode. At the beginning I had a few folders and files on my SIL HDD and after I pressed "Restart in DOS-Mode" everything worked well - switching to that directory, execute files, list directory etc... but after installing dozens of windows games on that drive, the system crashes after I switch to that drive and list directory or try to execute something....I suspect it has to do something with the length of file names or maybe there is some special character somewhere...maybe someone has an idea??

Problem:
I want to play some old DOS games also and according to various threads in this forum it should work with the SBPro Emulation and I have problems with the configuration, due to my poor skills about hardware from that time . I already read different threads in this forum but nothing works for me.

NOTE: I want to boot from a modified Windows 98 Start Disk and play DOS games from there - so I can decide, depending on the game, what to load and keep memory usage as low as possible.
I'm using drivers from 68mu220a.zip but I also tried 68mu220b.zip and the VIAFMTSR from this site

AUTOEXEC.BAT
C:\VIAUDIO\VIAUDIO.COM
C:\VIAUDIO\VIAFMTSR.COM
SET Blaster=A220 I5 D1 P330

BIOS Configuration:

IMG_20240324_152524.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240324_152524.jpg
File size
223.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If I use this configuration the PC sticks at the VIAUDIO.COM line. If I disable the MPU 401 or use a different not matching address in the SET Blaster instead of P330 it gives me the "Congratulations" message, but without working sound. Auto detection of one game gives me a DMA: failed to identify, maybe this helps?
I'm a bit lost know....Thank you for your help!

Best regards!

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try the generic creative dos drivers, which can be found here.
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=49&menustate=0

By default it lives in c:\dossrv so will not interfere with the VIA drivers if we need to go back to them.
Typically you would load
C:\DOSDRV\SBLOAD.exe
C:\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM

but you also have a few other exe's to play around and test with.

Re the HDD folder issue. Thats very typical behaviour if the drive geometry isn't correct
The first section of the drive more or less lines up but as the drive fills up the further out of alignment the drive becomes, and you get corrupted data.
Makes sense given 98/Fat32 doesn't really like such large drives.
Personally I'd just play it safe and create smaller partitions like you did on the other drive

Reply 2 of 3, by Ralf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much! I'll be back home on friday and then I'll test the drivers you mentioned from your link. I suspect they are similar to the one I have downloaded for my motherboard from retro web named "Creative AudioPCI ES137x VXD driver" (ensoniq.zip). This package includes the same filenames you mentioned. I tried them already, but I got an error, but I can't remember the message - and I think that I only tried them in Windows 98 DOS mode.

My plan is a more stratigic approach now:

1. copy files from 68mu220a.zip, 68mu220b.zip, viafmtsr, ensoniq.zip, and the generic drivers from your link to seperate folder on my c drive together with the 3 dos games Commander Keen 4, Sam and Max, and Star Control 2
2. unplug the SIL3114 PCI-Card
3. disable COM1, COM2, and parallel port in BIOS
4. use the reserved for legacy service option in the PCI/PNP IRQ resourse exlusion menue
for IRQ 5, DMA 1, and IRQ 10 (you have some additional suggestions?) I suspect to deal with the UMB resources is not necessary?
5. Boot with Windows 98 Start Disk
6. Start one driver package manually and test it with the games
7. after failure switch of PC, boot again and try with different driver package
8. after a success i adept the autoexec.bat on my boot disk with the working drivers and plug in the SIL card and hopefully Windows 98 still works - I have no need for COM or Parallel ports, so I'll let them switched off anyway

Re the HDD folder issue. Thats very typical behaviour if the drive geometry isn't correct The first section of the drive more or […]
Show full quote

Re the HDD folder issue. Thats very typical behaviour if the drive geometry isn't correct
The first section of the drive more or less lines up but as the drive fills up the further out of alignment the drive becomes, and you get corrupted data.
Personally I'd just play it safe and create smaller partitions like you did on the other drive

Yeah, that's also a very good explanation, I havn't thought of that because everything seems to work fine. But you are right FAT32 isn't made for 1 TB drives and I will make 9 < 128 GB logical drives

I've used this drive as installation path for my Windows games (ca. 40 at the moment) and also played ca. 90% of them for 10-15 min. A few are not working, because they don't recognize the disc in the virtual cd drive and I havn't found a nocd crack yet, and 2-3 just don't start - nothing happens after doubleclick.

Only Settlers 2 crashed whenever I tried it, doesn't know if it crashed because of the wrong sound configuration or an already corrupted disk. Maybe 4-5 times I tried it and always ended with a hard reset - maybe this resets corrupted the disk.

=> After fixing the sound issues I will remove the Settlers 2 folder, and make a disk analysis with Partition Magic and look if it finds something....

Reply 3 of 3, by Ralf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2024-03-26, 00:35:
You could try the generic creative dos drivers, which can be found here. http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=49&menustat […]
Show full quote

By default it lives in c:\dossrv so will not interfere with the VIA drivers if we need to go back to them.
Typically you would load
C:\DOSDRV\SBLOAD.exe
C:\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM

but you also have a few other exe's to play around and test with.

I have tried a lot of combinations, but still silence....

For the generic creative dos drivers:

sbtest.png
Filename
sbtest.png
File size
251.58 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Viaudio + Viafmtsr:
Viaudio shows: Install .... Successfully
Viafmtsr:
(*) sometimes crashes
(*) sometimes shows an overflow error
(*) sometimes looks like to succeed, but still no working sound

viaudio.png
Filename
viaudio.png
File size
112.65 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I have tried the tool from VIASBCFG - VIA SBPro configuration tool for VIA VT8231 & VT82C686/A/B chipsets (v0.12d) and the output is as follows:

viasbcfg.png
Filename
viasbcfg.png
File size
244.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But there is still no sound. Maybe somebody has an idea what else I can try. Thank you very much!

Best regards!