VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wanting to add the sockets to an ARK1000 video card. Assuming a solder gun would melt the sockets, do they need to be baked on? I’ve got some experience with surface mount components but this seems like it might be a bit more difficult than what I’ve done previously using the drag method. Googling how to solder SOJ sockets isn’t coming up with much. Why Hercules, why did you leave these off 🤣.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 3, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It should be pretty easy with a good hot air station and some leaded solder paste (the one that comes in a syringe) - I use the Mechanic brand right now, since it's cheap enough and it works in most cases on the first try.

Cheap hot air stations will tend to melt the sockets before the solder melt 😁

I have finally splurged on a decent hot-air station (since the ARK1000VL is a rare card, you may want to look at the Quick 861DW, but beware of clones!) and it's a day and night difference between my old cheapo hot air station and my new one. I can finally solder all kinds of socket and ICs without trouble. Definitely worth the investment if you work on a lot of rare retro hardware.