VOGONS

First post, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone original Driver for this Voodoo 1 Card? Or can i just use the ones that came with my Monster 3D?

Reply 1 of 5, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-03-29, 20:03:

Has anyone original Driver for this Voodoo 1 Card? Or can i just use the ones that came with my Monster 3D?

Best driver will likely be the latest reference driver, which you can grab from here.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 5, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2022-03-29, 20:06:

Best driver will likely be the latest reference driver, which you can grab from here.

The Reference Drivers are better then the Basic ones from the Vendors?

Reply 3 of 5, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-03-29, 20:21:

This has been my experience whenever the video card was based on a licensed chipset, such as in the case of 3Dfx, nVidia, ATi, etc. I don't think I've ever bothered with the drivers the maker of the physical board shipped. Only exceptions would be when the board maker and the chipmaker were technically the same, such as Matrox eg.

Reply 4 of 5, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2022-03-29, 20:49:

This has been my experience whenever the video card was based on a licensed chipset, such as in the case of 3Dfx, nVidia, ATi, etc. I don't think I've ever bothered with the drivers the maker of the physical board shipped. Only exceptions would be when the board maker and the chipmaker were technically the same, such as Matrox eg.

Does it change what kind i take for compatibility reasons? Or just take the latest one and "all" games will do fine? Or start with the driver by the year they are released and update them from time to time.?

Reply 5 of 5, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-03-30, 18:01:
leonardo wrote on 2022-03-29, 20:49:

Does it change what kind i take for compatibility reasons? Or just take the latest one and "all" games will do fine? Or start with the driver by the year they are released and update them from time to time.?

I'd just use the latest driver and then if I ran into issues with any particular game, see if there were regressions. 3Dfx did have an edge over ATi and nVidia in the sense that unlike with the latter two, their latest drivers were usually always the best.