VOGONS

First post, by h3xz3r0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I was looking for a card that could work under these conditions that would be good for playing Half Life 2 at a stable framerate. I was looking at a Radeon 9550 which seems like a good option but I was also wondering

If I'm looking to output to a CRT TV with S-Video, composite and component inputs, would it be a good idea to look for a card that has composite and s-video out? Would that be sharp enough or should I just use a vga to ypbpr adapter?

Thanks a lot

Reply 1 of 2, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ypbpr will give the best picture. I'm by no means an expert on which video cards supported ypbpr but I know the all in wonder ATI cards did. Whatever card you get make sure it comes with the dongle. Without the dongle it wont work. Try looking for ATI 9700-9800-X600-x700-x800 pro or all in wonders and check that it has the dongle.

Reply 2 of 2, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My ATi x800XL AGP works well for this situation in my Pentium 4 machine with 512MB of RAM. For windows 98 I will disable hyper-threading on the CPU and force install the 6-2_wme_dd_cp_30314.exe drivers. The drivers work with a lot of games and the CPU and GPU are powerful enough to run the nglide wrapper for any 3dfx glide games. The card can really stretch its legs in win XP though, with hyper-threading enabled on the CPU, and runs HL2 well. Aside from the standard DVI and VGA output options, it shipped with several adapters for composite, s-video, and component video from its 9 pin din socket.