VOGONS

First post, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I put games into 512x384 resolution on this Diamond Monster 3d I just got, I actually get 384 rows, not line doubled to 768. I didn't know this was possible and to make sure I wasn't going insane, I did a quick spin through a couple of old Nvidia and ATI cards I had and they all render 384 as line doubled 768, like I've always seen before. Is this "true" 512x384 common to all early voodoo cards? Are there any other types of cards that do this? I rather like it as the fatter scanlines flatter early 3d games, especially stuff like GLquake where it reintroduces a bit of that DOS grit.

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recall my Voodoo2 linedoubled to 768 with 512x384 and my monitor couldn't support proper 512x384.

The only game I can think of that needs 512x384 to look properly is NFL Blitz, as the arcade machine ran at that res and all the 2D assets are made for that.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea, I was a little surprised the monitor didn't wig out either. I thought it was normal vga stuff to double up anything below 640x400. Everyone always says to go with v2 over v1, maybe I've discovered like the only reason one might prefer a v1 besides wanting to see Lara's shadow 😁 . Or maybe it's literally just this diamond card, the only other v1 I have crashes the box anytime it tries to init the 3d side, so I have no way to compare/know for sure, though I'd have to expect the OEMs to not have such a drastic change