VOGONS

First post, by yojc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've recently built a 98/XP PC based on ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo with MSI GeForce 4 Ti4600 card (G4TI4600-VTD). However, I'm having issues getting DVI output to work correctly. Sometimes, I'm getting either no signal, or "input not supported" message on my monitor and/or capture card; sometimes this happens before the system has booted, sometimes the image goes out in Windows (both 98 and XP). This behavior seems to vary depending on what I connect.

My Ti4600 has BIOS version 4.25.00.27.33; I've also tested my Ti4200 with BIOS 4.25.00.29.00, with the exact same results. However, on Radeon 9200 everything seems to work completely fine.

Searching for possible causes, I've stumbled upon archived version of whitebunny.demon.nl website, which hosted various GPU BIOSes and utilites. I've noticed that for the Ti4200/4400/4600 there was a 4.25.00.37 BIOS available, which allegedly addressed the exact issue I'm having. However, the BIOS itself was not archived, and I haven't been able to find a working download.

Is there any place to find BIOSes for GeForce 4 Ti card, or am I out of luck? Should I just throw in the towel and search for a comparable Radeon card, 9600 or thereabouts? (I do wonder if Radeons have the same performance issues under 98 as GeForce... my Ti4600 was noticeably slower on 98 than XP in games like GTA3)

Last edited by yojc on 2024-05-07, 20:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get it from here, I can't remember *where* I got the files from at this point but it was sourced from the whitebunny.demon.nl and the later domain. There isn't everything but it has what you're looking for.

This archive includes the .37 bios for the Ti4600: https://archive.org/details/whitebunny-video-bios-roms

Reply 2 of 3, by yojc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately my excitement was short lived, as 37 BIOS didn't fix the issue... in fact, it made it even worse, 🤣. I reverted to 27 - on 37, I got "input not supported" message on fullscren DOS apps ran from Windows, which work (surprisingly) perfectly fine on 27. Bummer. I've also tried playing around in the BIOS editor, toggling DDC (whathever that is) and forcing adapter scaling, but to no avail. The other bioses (28 and 34) also didn't affect anything.

This issue is so weird...
When I hook up just the monitor, I get picture on bootup, but no picture in WIndows.
When I hook up just the HDMI grabber (cheapo Aliexpress thingy), I get no picture, period.
When I hook both monitor and grabber via HDMI splitter... I get no picture on monitor on bootup, but it comes on in Windows and works fine from there on. But on the grabber, the picture works perfectly fine all the time!

Honestly, I can't make any sense of this.

Reply 3 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect that an in-line EDID emulator programmed to look like a monitor that only supports modes that require 165MHz or less (single link DVI) might completely bypass the issue. I have had to do this the get reliable ooeration on an FX5900 and newer monitors that support (and advertise in their EDID) higher bandwidth modes over HDMI.

EDIT : See Re: video card goes black after windows 98 splash screen and links within .