VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently learned that some dude in Russia made modern-day clones of the Voodoo 4 and 5. I thought of having one of these on hand either as a backup (I've had video cards go bad before) or even as my daily driver.

I'm likely to get one regardless (more likely a Voodoo 4 as I don't think my computer has enough room for a V5), simply because actual vintage cards are, well, vintage and probably need repairing anyway, but....

To be honest, even just the "have it as backup in case my Voodoo 3 goes bad" aspect makes me wonder.

Like, one thing I know from personal experience is that games designed with earlier Voodoo cards in mind won't always see my Voodoo 3 (Need for Speed III never lets me enable its 3DFX mode, for example). So I assume there might be a similar issue if I tried to play a Voodoo 3 game while having a Voodoo 5.

Also, one thing I've never ever been able to find info on is how this would affect my ability to boot into DOS mode (not an emulator or a DOS window, actual DOS mode) and play Doom or Commander Keen or Kingdom of Kroz or whatever my little heart desires. I actually did see reviews for video cards (never the Voodoo line) that specifically mention whether or not they're backwards-compatible with DOS. I'm not sure if the reviewers only did that to assuage fears, or if there really are video cards out there that simply won't work in DOS mode.

Basically.... if I did one day have to put a Voodoo 4 in my system, would it still work with all the same games that my Voodoo 3 does?

Reply 1 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EdmondDantes wrote on 2024-05-11, 13:08:

Like, one thing I know from personal experience is that games designed with earlier Voodoo cards in mind won't always see my Voodoo 3 (Need for Speed III never lets me enable its 3DFX mode, for example).

NFS3 can be made to work with a Voodoo 3, but it needs some workarounds.

The instructions on which patches to apply and how are posted here. With that, you get full Glide support, including proper table fog.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 2D capabilities of later Voodoo cards are identical, so you don't have to worry much about there.

When it comes around 3D backwards compatibility, starting from Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo3, you won't be able to run games that uses an early version of the Glide API natively. Those are DOS executables with the Glide API being integrated into it, and Windows games requiring both GLIDE.DLL and SST1INIT.DLL files.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 5, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2024-05-11, 15:38:

The 2D capabilities of later Voodoo cards are identical, so you don't have to worry much about there.

When it comes around 3D backwards compatibility, starting from Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo3, you won't be able to run games that uses an early version of the Glide API natively. Those are DOS executables with the Glide API being integrated into it, and Windows games requiring both GLIDE.DLL and SST1INIT.DLL files.

Thanks, this was all I needed to know.

Almost. I have one more question that might be worth making a new thread over but I figured I would post it here.

So earlier I was watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aMiEszQBik

Near the end the dude shows a Voodoo 5 (actually one of those modern clone cards I mentioned) running and his games.... look really glitched. And he doesn't exactly explain what's going on here (the only thing I understood is it might be a driver issue).

Is this normal behavior or is this guy doing something to cause this?

Reply 4 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I assume that the texture artifacts on the Voodoo5 are caused by driver and/or VBIOS issues.

Same applies to the consistent problems mentioned on the GeForce2 GTS with 3DMark 99 in the video. Steve didn't disclose which driver he used for the card, but it is likely that he used a late ForceWare driver which aren't recommended for Windows 9x.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 5, by Dolenc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Texture issue is related to expanded memory capacity on those cards (you can always toggle them to "as og" and will will behave the same). But even greater memory capacity, can work just fine with other drivers.
Compatibility in general is quite good with v4/5 since it can use that glide2x.ovl file.