VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im unsure if any off thease card are good for anything or if any are equal to voodoo2/3 or tnt card or such.

If some one could clarify a little to me i would be happy.

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    Filename
    image3.JPG
    File size
    2.97 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • image2.JPG
    Filename
    image2.JPG
    File size
    2.88 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image1.JPG
    Filename
    image1.JPG
    File size
    2.63 MiB
    Views
    File license

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 1 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first two cards (of which the Rage Pro Turbo is best) support the proprietary ATI CIF acceleration API which existed prior to everybody standardizing on OpenGL and Direct3D. The Rage 128 is a later generation card which supports Direct3D at roughly the level of Nvidia TNT cards, but without the same level of performance.

https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_3D_CIF/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 13, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some level of hardware-accelerated OpenGL support for the 3D Rage (Rage IIC/Rage Pro Turbo) series does exist, at least under Linux and BSD. I'm not sure if that's possible under Windows or not - I'd expect so.

However, they're not particularly zoomy cards for 3D. For 2D, they perform quite well, being advanced versions of the older Mach64.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 3 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For 2d they are great, still used even today on server boards, which means the Rage 2 even has Win10 drivers 🤣

Reply 4 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First card is Rage IIc with 2MB EDO memory. In terms of 3D performance it's in the same tier as S3 Virge. You can find vintage3d's reviews here. No hardware OpenGL acceleration under Windows XP; not sure about D3D.
The second card is Rage Pro with 8MB SDR. It was on the same generation as Voodoo 1 or Riva 128 but possesses much less fame. It has hardware D3D and OpenGL acceleration under Windows XP and you can find the reviews here.
The third card is Xpert 2000 with Rage 128 VR chip and 32MB SDR memory. The Rage 128 chip came in two flavors, the 128bit GL and 64bit VR. The GL version was a contender of Riva TNT, and actually outperformed the latter in 32bit D3D applications. Unfortunately your card is the 64bit version. Would it be the inspiration of the M64 variant of the next-gen TNT2? I may never know....
Among the 3 cards I'd keep the Rage Pro. It was the last chip that supports CIF and Windows 3.x and it's also well supported in Windows XP.

Reply 5 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a rage128 pro and it actually surprised me as it ran 3dmark99 pretty well, the score was much higher as a voodoo1 and very close to voodoo2. Don't know about actual game performance...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 13, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Between V1 and V2 is about right. There were a few versions with widely variable performance, though.

I will say that PCI Rage 128s are very nice DOS cards on S3/5/7 systems, with the capability to handle early OpenGL and D3D games well enough.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 7 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

I have a rage128 pro and it actually surprised me as it ran 3dmark99 pretty well, the score was much higher as a voodoo1 and very close to voodoo2. Don't know about actual game performance...

Rage 128 Pro is a TNT2-tier card and should be on par with Voodoo3 2000.

Reply 9 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Exactly. Thanks for finding Phil's review. Both R128 Pro and V3-2000 scored 57xx in 3DMark99 MAX. Phil didn't put V2 in this scene but we can safely assert that V3 is faster V2. The oddity here is that Velocity 100 scored higher than V3-2000.

Reply 10 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I simulated the other Voodoo 3 cards, apparently there is more to it with memory timings I was told. It's possible the Velocity has tight memory timings, and maybe the real 2000 as well.

Also not that I wasn't aware of the "convert 32 bit textures to 16 bit" performance option that's set by default. So it appears a bit faster than it is without this setting. In my latest review videos I basically did all tests again and disabled this option.

The ATI cards are solid, very good with Direct3D, but OpenGL is a weakness. The drivers are solid with good options.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, maybe i have another version but mine wasn't THAT fast. But i also didn't test it on a 3ghz p4 like Phil 🤣

Anyway, i was pleasantly surprised because i basicly find other old Ati cards not nearly as good. Things went up from there, that's for sure.

Reply 12 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Hmmm, maybe i have another version but mine wasn't THAT fast. But i also didn't test it on a 3ghz p4 like Phil 🤣

Anyway, i was pleasantly surprised because i basicly find other old Ati cards not nearly as good. Things went up from there, that's for sure.

If you can ever get hold of the first Radeon, especially with DDR memory, I think you'll love that card 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
meljor wrote:

If you can ever get hold of the first Radeon, especially with DDR memory, I think you'll love that card 😀

Nah, i don't want to. I have way too much allready so i try and keep my focus at 3dfx/nvidia most of the time. 🤣