VOGONS

First post, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As some of you already know, I am very interested in old laptops with weird displays. Early LCDs, plasma monitors (love these!) and electroluminescent displays. So far I've only found information about three types that would have it in some variants:

• GRiD Compass II and Compass 1101 (x86, GridOS)
  • Dynamac EL-1701-A (68kMLA, Mac)
  • Data General One models 2 and 2T (x86, DOS)

Do you know any more than these listed above? Would you happen to have any photos?

I'd love to get my hands on one, too, but that would probably have to wait until I have larger budget for it, I suspect...

Reply 1 of 5, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the Toshiba 3100sx and 3200, both with orange plasmas. Would you like me to tear down and have a look at these? The 3100sx is DOA atm anyway. I will have to find time for it, though..

Also got some Compaq SLT stuff and an Olivetti with LCDs. These are 386 machines from ~91.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DeafPK wrote:

Also got some Compaq SLT stuff and an Olivetti with LCDs. These are 386 machines from ~91.

I once had a Compaq SLT 286 from 1988. I was a really nice portable laptop, albeit it had a weird accu.
Once upgraded mine to 4MiB of memory (used special modules). It ran DOS 6.2 and Win 3.1 nicely.
Homepage of another SLT 286 user: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/collectio … mpaq-stl286.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The SLT is really cool. Mine will only run without the battery pack. I believe it also has 4 megs of ram.

I also have an LTE 386s/20 that refuses to power up. Have tried just about anything. It has a B/W LCD.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 4 of 5, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DeafPK wrote:

I have the Toshiba 3100sx and 3200, both with orange plasmas. Would you like me to tear down and have a look at these? The 3100sx is DOA atm anyway. I will have to find time for it, though..

Thanks for offering to do that, but it won't be necessary. I actually own a bunch of Toshiba laptops with orange plasmas (3100e, 3200sx, 5100 and 5200), so I am quite familiar with those. If you'd be thinking about selling 3200 at some point, fire up a private message - I might be interested.

What I meant - and by the way, sorry if I didn't make myself clear, English is not my mother tongue - was that I would very much like to hear about any other laptops / luggables with ELD screens and if anyone has them, I would be very grateful for some photos of working equipment.

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 5, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Roger that! I cannot sell the 3200 unfortunately, it belongs to my uncle and I am just its caretaker 😉