VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Tseng labs ET4000AX ISA card and my Samsung Syncmaster 151s monitor don't seem like each other. I have probably tested dozen of other graphics cards with the monitor... other ISA cards, VLB cards, AGP cards and PCI-E cards. All seem to work fine. ET4000AX. Even VLB Tseng labs ET4000/W32P card works fine with the monitor. When using my isa tseng labs, first everything is fine and I can see text normally when I boot the computer, but when I start anything using graphics mode first screen goes black and then it starts gradually turning whitish grey with strange pattern. When this is happening, I disconnect the vga cable from the monitor and connect it to another monitor and suddenly everything is normal.

So the card works with other monitors and monitor works with other cards, but not with each other.

Any ideas what this is all about?

Reply 1 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is the graphics card.

20180201_231630.jpg
Filename
20180201_231630.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Anyone knows what the 3 jumpers are for and if any of them might help with this problem?

Reply 2 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about motherboards, have you tried with a different motherboard?

Jumpers are usually for IRQ, 0-wait states,... try switching them and see what happens.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same thing happens if I try the graphics card on my 486 or super socket 7 system. At first I thought I had bought a broken card, but it seems to work fine on other monitors I have.

Reply 4 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a problem with the monitor not accepting video timings particular to the video mode the card is outputting. I have one Samsung which preduces similar result with a number of resolutions from old video cards. In theory it is possible to hack the video ROM to adjust the timings a little bit but it probably is not trivial, so change of card or the monitor is only viable option. I changed monitor and all problems are gone.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

This is a problem with the monitor not accepting video timings particular to the video mode the card is outputting. I have one Samsung which preduces similar result with a number of resolutions from old video cards. In theory it is possible to hack the video ROM to adjust the timings a little bit but it probably is not trivial, so change of card or the monitor is only viable option. I changed monitor and all problems are gone.

Is it normal then that the same monitor works with the vlb card that also has tseng labs et4000 series chip?
The monitor also works fine with even older trident ISA card.

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

Is it normal then that the same monitor works with the vlb card that also has tseng labs et4000 series chip?

Perhaps it's the "fault" of the VGA BIOS or the RAMDAC chip.
Or maybe a jumper setting for the VGA monitor causes an odd sync frequency.
Some older ISA cards had jumper settings for several monitor types (Standard VGA, NEC Multisync, VGA Mono, etc)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

All the video timings are under software control, dependent on particular video BIOS used (or possibly driver in Windows, if it chooses to program everything directly without using any BIOS functions).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could oldschool VESA/Refresh Rate utilities maybe force the two to get along? I don't know if something like UniRefresh would support such an old card as the ISA ET4000...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks