VOGONS

Nvidia Driver problem

Topic actions

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a problem with my AGP 6800 vanilla. When I install the drivers on XP, it installs fine. I reboot the PC, it will show the Welcome screen and then the screen will immediately go black when the drivers load in. If i boot in safe mode it will load into Windows no problem. I've tried a few driver versions: 61.77 +- a few revisions (which are available on Nvidia's XP archive) and 9X.XX also available from Nvidia's archive, and all will make the screen immediately go black. The driver on the CD also has the same issue. I don't think there is no video signal, I think it is sending a black signal...

The thing is I seem to recall having the same issue with a 5950 years ago, possibly when it was current. At that time it only happened in XPSP3 (possibly 2 too). Right now I am intalling XPSP0 to see if the issue still occurs.

Has anyone experienced this before?

ECS L4S8A2 motherboard (SiS 648 chipset)
Windows XPSP3 with SiS AGP / chipset drivers installed

Reply 1 of 4, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For what it's worth the 71.89 driver is working fine in SP1, I'm fairly sure it's sp3 that causes the black screens

Reply 2 of 4, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:

For what it's worth the 71.89 driver is working fine in SP1, I'm fairly sure it's sp3 that causes the black screens

Have you tried SP2? you only mentioned SP1 and SP3 so it may be worth a shot to see if the problem happens in SP2, maybe your SIS chipset drivers are too old to work properly on SP3?

Reply 3 of 4, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
Almoststew1990 wrote:

Have you tried SP2? you only mentioned SP1 and SP3 so it may be worth a shot to see if the problem happens in SP2, maybe your SIS chipset drivers are too old to work properly on SP3?

I didn't get that far in the end - the GPU ended up artifacting in games 🙁

Reply 4 of 4, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think service pack is not responsible for this kind of problems.
Various driver versions can sometimes cause trouble, but this is weird. Anyway - I was benchmarking GeForce 256 to FX 5900 using 71.89 and no problems there. And for Gf 6200 to GF 7800 FW 93.71 was also working fine. All cards running on VIA PT880 chipset and XP SP3.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware