VOGONS

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is this real? I even own a v5 5500 but find this almost impossible to believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULDrrzijqo

I've never even been able to get SFFT drivers to work properly. Let alone play a game like this.. amazing.

Reply 1 of 6, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure it's real. Why do you find this impossible to believe? UT2004 doesn't even require a T&L card, the system requirements call for a 32MB 3D Card minimally and I think they were aiming at a TNT2 with these. Not to mention, usually the greatest bottleneck when playing UT2004 at the time was the CPU, which is certainly not an issue here with that fast i5.

I remember threads about this in 3dfxzone.it back in 2004-2005 and I believe UT2004 also came with an OpenGL renderer, so they might be using that instead here.
I'm guessing you've never seen those Doom 3 screenshots on a couple of Voodoo2 cards 🤣

Reply 2 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

UT2004 is wayyyyy more lax on the 3d requirements than UT2003. It's more of a CPU hog though... Also having an OpenGL renderer unintentionally helps the 3dfx compatibility (though this reduces some effects like shadows as they were never implemented for it). You'll have to fiddle with UT2004.ini and de-semicolon one line that says OpenGLDrv and semi-colon the other that says D3DDrv

A Voodoo3 can run UT2004 too 😀 A Voodoo2 also "can" though it'll really thrash and break on rendering a lot of things even with MesaFX. Voodoo3's the sane min for this one for having the texture cache neccessary for minimum detail and even that has some rendering issues (stretchy health pickup verts anyone?)

Hell, even PCem could run it. This was a v12 WIP though around when the V2 first started to get emulation, should try this in Ironic on v14 soon.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 6, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man that is surprising to me! I mean, it is a year 2000 card running ut2004 smoother than the 'modern' cards I had back then.

Reply 4 of 6, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you used a GeForce 2 or Geforce 4 MX440 with a really fast CPU you'd see similar if not better performance. The Voodoo5 is roughly on par with a GeForce 2 give or take.

Reply 5 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Voodoo5 is roughly on par with a GeForce 2 give or take.

If CPU can keep up with T&L emulation.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty impressive graphics and performance for such an old card... especially one that was behind the times already when it was released.

This makes me really want to get the Voodoo 5 5500 PCI and Vortex 2 SQ2500 installed in my main rig for some Windows 10 + Windows 98SE dual-boot action... been planning it for a while.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.