VOGONS

First post, by TechDeals

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all... long time lurker, first time poster...

I noticed the Dell 2007FP has a composite video input and S-Video... neither are important for retro PC gaming as far as I'm aware, however I've been pondering picking up some other older computers from the 80s, a C64 or C128, or perhaps an Amiga... things I missed back in the day being on the Apple II line before moving to PC.

Since I have a 2007FP in my collection, I was pondering if it would be as simple as picking up some older computers and they would "just work", or perhaps might "just work with adapter cables" of some type, or if this monitor is just WAY too new to accept anything they'll output.

I really don't want to eat the space of a real CRT if I can avoid it...

Thoughts?

Reply 1 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

welcome!

As a PROUD owner of the 24" version of that monitor, I can say it was VERY handy to have when I play with my Apple II stuff.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

welcome!

As a PROUD owner of the 24" version of that monitor, I can say it was VERY handy to have when I play with my Apple II stuff.

Pretty sure Dell never made a 24" 1600x1200 VA or IPS monitor. 😲

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ok, I suppose the 2007 is different than the 2008

I have the 2408WFP for the record. It still does have the inputs OP describes, and I stand by my feeling for the display. (svideo, composite,etc)

Reply 4 of 10, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just remember that even the best LCD screens will have some inherent lag and Dell displays aren't usually optimised for response times, the upscaler will have some lag too; so if any of your intended games rely on fast reflexes, you may end up wondering why you're not as good as you remember (other than just being older).
For the systems you listed a 15Khz CRT monitor would work well. Monitors for the Amiga which carry the optimal RGB signal will give the best picture from that system; but tend to have a single input, although that input is usually Scart and switchers are still available. A Sony PVM / BVM with RGB would be ideal with the right cables / adapters as you'd have at least RGB, S-Video and two composite inputs, the smaller ones aren't very bulky and built to last.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 5 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

The 24" version (2407WFP or 2408WFP) is 1920x1200, and it's VA.

24" IPS on DELL monitors started with U2410.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 10, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 2007fp/2007fpb is great for retro stuff. Never had issues with it in DOS or 3.x/9x etc.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7 of 10, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my 2005fpw died sadly. had composite and s-video on it, loved that monitor till it gave up its ghost.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 8 of 10, by TechDeals

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
luckybob wrote:

welcome!

I wish they had... for this sort of thing, a 24" 4:3 monitor would be awesome! It seems that 20" is as big as they ever went, including the 21" CRTs which were really 20" viewable...

Reply 9 of 10, by TechDeals

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

welcome!

I have an Apple IIgs and the Apple Color RGB monitor... that makes me wonder, can I just plug the 2007FP into the composite output of the IIgs?

I was thinking I would need a Apple RGB to SCART cable, then a SCART to HDMI adapter... would be nice if I don't... guess I should go try it!

Does the IIgs still output 15khz horizontal on the composite?

Reply 10 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TechDeals wrote:

I have an Apple IIgs and the Apple Color RGB monitor... that makes me wonder, can I just plug the 2007FP into the composite output of the IIgs?

yes.

I was thinking I would need a Apple RGB to SCART cable, then a SCART to HDMI adapter... would be nice if I don't... guess I should go try it!

do what you want with your money, but I believe it to be a horrible mistake.

#1 scart is European. as far as I understand scart, its the same as the american RBG standard, just a different connector.
#2 if you did have to use an adapter; https://www.ebay.com/itm/132960778930 looks like a better alternative.