VOGONS

First post, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey,

This isn't too big of a deal but I just wanted to know is there a way to reduce/remove pressure marks on an LCD monitor? The one pictured is a Dell P190s 19" 1280x1024 I got for cheap... honestly I just wanted the stand for my 24" 1920x1200 monitor and it worked great. The 19" does have some pressure marks and a bigly scratch at the top (which was alleviated with a magic eraser) but I was wondering what tips you guys have about pressure marks and deep scratches on LCDs. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190929_104813.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20190929_104813.jpg
    File size
    857.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote:

Buying a new screen should fix those spots.

U458rhN.png

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 10, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know it cannot be fixed.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 5 of 10, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, off to the thrift store it went. They had another 1280x1024 monitor, but a 17" Dell E177fpc for $7 so I snagged that. After cleaning up the dust, looks good as new!

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aaronkatrini wrote:
https://en.meming.world/images/en/thumb/8/82/My_Goodness_What_an_Idea.jpg/300px-My_Goodness_What_an_Idea.jpg […]
Show full quote

300px-My_Goodness_What_an_Idea.jpg

keropi wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/U458rhN.png […]
Show full quote
Doornkaat wrote:

Buying a new screen should fix those spots.

U458rhN.png

What are you on about? 😉
Instead of presenting poor oeuvre with a problem by saying that there's no viable repair I suggested a quick and inexpensive solution. 😁
And he went for it! 😎

Reply 8 of 10, by Emu10k1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You should try to dissasemble the screen. It could be that those marks are "newton rings" caused by humidity in the polarized layers between the backlight and the LCD matrix.

Newton’s rings, in optics, a series of concentric light- and dark-coloured bands observed between two pieces of glass when one is convex and rests on its convex side on another piece having a flat surface. Thus, a layer of air exists between them. The phenomenon is caused by the interference of light waves—i.e., the superimposing of trains of waves so that when their crests coincide, the light brightens; but when trough and crest meet, the light is destroyed. Light waves reflected from both top and bottom surfaces of the air film between the two pieces of glass interfere. The rings are named after the English 17th-century physicist Sir Isaac Newton, who first investigated them quantitatively.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/5jr … g_newton_rings/

Reply 9 of 10, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a polariser shrink on my tv causing big horizontal lines, I saw a video how applying cold to it, like some ice wrapped in a towel can help unshrink it, however it did not work for me like it did for the guy on u tube, but its always worth a shot

Reply 10 of 10, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the annoying thing is this E177fpc's power button seems to be stuck. The plastic button is fine and clicks as intended, feels just like the others. The switch itself seems to be the problem... tore it open and confirmed that. A cheap fix but not a priority... also used it as an opportunity to clean the rear cover.

ws90Ts2.gif