VOGONS

First post, by RichPimp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started noticing a strange problem with my Voodoo 2 SLI setup recently. The cards are paired with a P3 Coppermine 933 MHz CPU, and I have V-Sync turned on. When playing games at 640x480 or 800x600, sometimes small horizontal black lines (actually more a dark blue) appear in the image. In some cases it is frequent, in others it isn't, and I can't seem to reproduce whatever conditions make it happen frequently. At 1024x768, there's never been an issue. The problem has also manifested in Quake 2. I tested both cards by themselves in multiple PCI slots, and everything works fine at all resolutions. I also tried a different VGA passthrough cable and SLI bridge connector to rule those out. I thought it might've been an overheating issue, so I installed heatsinks on all the main chips (not on the memory), but unfortunately airflow is as good as I can get, given that the case is a relatively small home theater PC case. I have no room to mount a fan to blow directly on the cards, though I do have 4 total fans installed (two intake fans on the sides, two outtake fans at the rear). The other thing I considered is that, given this is only happening in SLI, perhaps the frame rates at low resolutions are too high for the SLI connector to keep up with? I used to pair these cards with a P2 350MHz, then a P3 ~733MHz, so maybe the faster CPU is scaling the cards up too high? Anyone had any similar experiences with a Voodoo 2 SLI setup?

Reply 1 of 1, by RichPimp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found the culprit, I had triple color buffering enabled. Once disabled, the scan line artifacts went away at all resolutions.