VOGONS

First post, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get winme running on a gigabyte ga-ma69vm-s2 motherboard. This thing was made around the time of vista and only has driver support for xp and vista. Not for 9x. It uses some ati onboard graphics. My res in me is fixed to 16colors 640x480.. I dont intend to game on this but would like to at least be able to use 1024x768 in more than 16 colors... is there any generic windows vga driver that works with intigrated gpu on winme? I mean it is using a generic driver to give me this.. maybe i can get a little more..

Reply 1 of 4, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You already have the generic VGA driver - that's what provides the 640x480x16 mode.
What you need is a generic SVGA/VBE driver - such a thing seems to exist, but I've never tried it...
https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbe9x.htm

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind that this VBE driver can not even do simple DirectDraw, so it's really limited to the Windows GUI. And software that renders graphics (e.g. browsers) will be damn slow, since they can not use any sort of hardware acceleration.

Not sure what you want to do with that system, but if it only has onboard graphics anyway, why not install some good graphics card with Windows ME support?

Reply 4 of 4, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do need to get a gpu in there but the system dual boots in XP so would need ro get something that supports both.