VOGONS

AGP vs PCIe

Topic actions

First post, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I've recently built an early Windows XP machine that originally I was going to have dual booting with Windows Me. This last part didn't work out, but since I have already a few other machines running Windows 95 and Windows 98 it doesn't matter too much.

Anyway, the motherboard I'm using has both an AGP 8x and a PCIe 16x slot. At the moment I'm using the AGP 8x slot for a 9600xt, but I also have a 6800GT PCIe that I could drop into the system. Since I'm playing mostly games from 2000-2004, the 9600XT has a few issues with the later titles and the 6800GT would bring a nice increase in FPS, but I don't know if there was any compatibility break with the change of slot. I assume that since the 6800GT also had an AGP version, it'll probably still work fine for those late Windows 9x titles that launch on XP, but I'd like to be sure.

Reply 1 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCI-E works just fine in win9x, no additional drivers required. It's more or less like PCI on steroids.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 6, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So PCIe and AGP are only a matter of performance? I'm not trying to run Windows 9x anymore in this machine, I just don't want to find out that some game used some AGP specific thing that will make it not display correctly with a PCIe card. I don't recall this ever happening to me back in the day, but I'd like to be sure.

Reply 5 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mostly "AGP Aperture Size", which allows extending texture memory to system RAM, so games can use much higher-resolution textures. G-Police for example uses these if it detects an AGP card. If you use a PCIe card, which has way more video memory anyway, it probably doesn't matter.

Last edited by derSammler on 2020-02-03, 14:16. Edited 2 times in total.