VOGONS

First post, by justajeffy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Searching online all I was able to find was an eBay listing for the same cable. The seller told me it's a breakout cable for a capture card, but they couldn't remember which one. Anybody know?

It breaks out to these female connectors: Two VGA, One S-video, One composite, One RCA S/PDIF.. and also a 1/8" stereo male.

DyupWbhl.jpg

Reply 3 of 17, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I might be mistaken, but that doesnt seem an Ati cable. It was called something else... Early Digital signal, just before Dvi came out...?
I had a Fx5200 with that connector, or a similar one, don't quite remember, I need to check 😀

Reply 5 of 17, by justajeffy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, yep.. it definitely looks exactly like the one on this page: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1181/3

I'll admit that I was a little more excited by the idea of this cable being for some sort of capture card, but I can see how it might still be useful down the line..

Glad the mystery is solved! Thanks everyone!

Reply 7 of 17, by justajeffy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-02-03, 16:15:

well, technically the AIW is a capture card :p

Heh. Yeah, I guess that's true. Just not using any of the connectors on this cable as inputs, though.

Reply 8 of 17, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fair enough.
But what was the name of that weird digital connector, that was launched just before Dvi, but could only do up to certain resolutions, but then got discontinued when Dvi came out. I don't remember its name, and the connector was similar if not identical to the one Op showed. I had an Nvidia Fx5200 with that...!
I can't remember it's name, maybe someone with better memory? Thanks!

Reply 9 of 17, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before DVI there was DFP (from Digital Flat Panel) but it looks very different from the AiW breakout connector and I'd be surprised to see it on a GeForce FX card.
There is also mini DVI which has a bit of a similar albeit smaller shape but I believe it has much less pins. Also there's DMS-59 which is a connector used to provide two DVI ports through a breakout cable if there isn't enough space for two connectors on the card itself. It has many pins but is much longer compared to justajeffy's AiW breakout port.
Are you thinking of any of those?

Reply 10 of 17, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope unfortunately,
I feel so bad for not remembering its name.

It could go up to a resolution that had the 1024 number, so I guess up to 1280x1024 or 1024x786...
The quest finding that connector name continues...

Reply 11 of 17, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-02-04, 07:49:
Nope unfortunately, I feel so bad for not remembering its name. […]
Show full quote

Nope unfortunately,
I feel so bad for not remembering its name.

It could go up to a resolution that had the 1024 number, so I guess up to 1280x1024 or 1024x786...
The quest finding that connector name continues...

Aren't you just thinking about single-link DVI-D? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_ … terface#Digital

I can't think of anything between analog VGA D-SUB and DVI.

1982 to 2001

Reply 13 of 17, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-02-04, 09:57:

Oh no,
The connector is more "square"... Very similar to the one Op showed

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your memory is tricking you. I really can't think of another digital video connector from that era with somewhat similar looks and on a mainstream card like the FX 5200 nothing except DVI really makes sense to me.
Post a picture of the card in case you actually find it, I'm always eager to learn something new! 🙂

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2020-02-04, 11:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 17, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

unfortunately was not working and I sent for recycling ... oh silly me
I remember there was also a S3 card with this connector, maybe I could find a photo of that one... I will be updating soon

Reply 16 of 17, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so I found the photo of the photo of the S3... https://imgur.com/a/AwDcFrm
It is the VESA Digital Flat Panel, Doornkaat was correct! 😀

And the description on wikipedia of the connector seems to match what I remembered : "DFP was superseded by DVI because of a low maximum resolution of 1280 × 1024"

So yeah, I think my memory was playing tricks on me, sorry everyone...
But still I'm not 100% convinced... and I find it weird it got discontinued in the early 2000 but then found in a FX5200. Maybe it was different connector, as I remember it was more square... and white..

Reply 17 of 17, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mistery solved!😅
As to other somewhat similar video ports you might be thinking of:
Apple Display Connector bares little resemblance either as it has round edges and only two rows of pins.
HDI-45 is somewhat similar yet wider but really a different era and I think it's purely analog. Also it's used only on that one fixed res apple display.
Also I just learned LFH-60 and DMS-59 are different ports so there's also LFH-60 but it doesn't fit the description either.