VOGONS

First post, by discatte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wanted to share a nice tool and success story!

Picked up an Amdek 310A only to realize nothing with the appropriate port worked currently.

Checked out https://www.diericx.net/post/drive-cga-screen-with-arduino/ it does a low res line tripled image due to lack of Arduino Ram.
It requires no extra hardware, just direct wire the arduino to the monitor pins!

The example code outputs on CGA green, so I wired that to MDA signal pin. et voilà!

JAJ0rVk.jpg

Happy TTLing!

▓▒░ (=ↀωↀ=) ░▒▓

Reply 1 of 2, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once you learn enough, we need a lab quality monitor testers in a little box that outputs timings that is standard in use according to the VESA specs timing waveforms and IBM MDA, CGA, EGA, VGA, VESA timings not what you get with video cards so we can calibrate the monitors under repair correctly so it will work right with any video cards. And at *correct* voltage output so we can adjust the pots etc like you do following the service manuals.

And gray scale only from black, barely grey to white in 16 steps. Color not needed. Once you calibrate a monitor or tv correctly, you only need to set the wave forms to correct voltage, then adjust the grayscale on all the RGB colors to all white neutral with the brightest white, not too bright, actually comes out perfect for color when in use.

I had a monitor tester when bought along with tools to start my work, for my former work (repairing monitors and tv) and it was not correct timing vs video card that I knew well so I calibrated monitors using a Matrox G400! (concerning the resetting default centering and width, height etc).

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 2, by discatte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah! This one is hard coded to CGA timing by the original author. I would like to try to make it more flexible. And Test patterns like that are much easier since they don't take up bitmap ram.

It would be interesting to see if at least for the blanking signals if you could use an Arduino to time the ones coming FROM a card.

Thanks!

▓▒░ (=ↀωↀ=) ░▒▓