VOGONS

First post, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I tested all the machines out in my garage. Wanna guess which one DIDN'T boot? The one with an EVGA 8600GT. Swapped the video card and it fired right up. For every other type of video card I've had fail, I've probably had 2 7000 or 8000 series GPUs fail.

* 2 8800 series cards
* 1 8600 series card & 1 Quadro 8600 based card.
* 2 7800 series cards (1 of which being a highly prized 7800GS AGP..... I regret throwing that out without trying to bake it. Especially considering I convinced it to boot for like 5 minutes once)

These things seem to be time bombs. The usual routine for them is to work for about 10 minutes (about long enough to get the GPU core up to full temp) and then fail. Sometimes catastrophically (the 7800GTX nuked itself. Full magic smoke)
The only 2 cards that have proven resilient are my XFX GeForce 8800GTX XXX and my 9800GX2 (which has lost a DVI port). I have a 7950GT that immediately overheated to the point I could smell it, but upon inspection it was sold to me with no thermal paste applied which makes me think its already been baked once in its life. I need to get thermal paste and retest that though I know it still will post to BIOS.

So far as I know the problem is due to the ridiculous RoHS specification requiring lead-free solder with no consideration of the longevity and durability of products (but gotta save that fuckin' tree right? One of a billion reason I'll never live in Europe is the ridiculous amount of government regulation you guys consider acceptable). Supposedly the issue starts with GeForce 7000 series GPUs and affects all 8000 series GPUs and certain 9000s series GPUs before the solder composition was changed to something that isn't shit.

Is it even worth collecting these anymore? the 8800 series is the first to support triple SLI so some of them I need 3 working examples to have a full capabilities collection. Practically every other member of the two families I need 2 of.

Are they just doomed to fail sooner rather than later?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1 of 11, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

damn i'm worried now, i bought a 7950gt (BFG OC edition 512mb) and waiting for it to arrive. i hope it works fine. it is meant to run a lot cooler than the 7800 or 7900...

Reply 2 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's got it miss, I've got a few from this generation I'll list what I have if it has an asterisk it works still

7600gs agp
7800gs
7800gt
7800gtx*
7900gs
7900gtx*
7900gtx*
7900gtx
7900gtx
8400gs rev 1
8500gt
8800gt
8800gts 512 xfx*
8800gts 512 evga
9800gt*
9800gtx

Reply 3 of 11, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember reading some articles that said that failure (at least on laptops) was caused by a defective design. It seems that heat generation was not evenly distributed, so some points were overheating while others were fine. The heatsink was unable to remove heat from that points fast enough, so it was removed via the solders (that, added to brittle solders, caused them to fail).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

is due to the ridiculous RoHS specification requiring lead-free solder

No. Nvidia Bumpgate is not lead-free problem. The main problem is compound between chip PCB and crystal itself, which held much smaller BGA in place.

I don't think that 110nm chips like 7800 are affected by Bumpgate. They are manufactured on the same process like GeForce 6600, which work reasonably fine to this day. But I have passively cooled ASUS GeForce 7800GT which died after prolonged use. It's most likely not Bumpgate, but thermal stress under 80-90 Celcius is real. BGA chips had failures before and after Bumpgate too, take Radeon 9700 for example.

It's worth noting that Quadro variations of G71 and G80 are easier to find in working conditions. Did Nvidia applied some manufacturing fixes to their professional line? Who knows.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-10-03, 03:58. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-04-23, 10:21:
No. Nvidia Bumpgate is not lead-free problem. The main problem is compound between chip PCB and crystal itself, which held much […]
Show full quote

is due to the ridiculous RoHS specification requiring lead-free solder

No. Nvidia Bumpgate is not lead-free problem. The main problem is compound between chip PCB and crystal itself, which held much smaller BGA in place.

I don't think that 110nm chips like 7800 are affected by Bumpgate. They are manufactured on the same process like GeForce 6600, which work reasonably fine to this days. But I have passively cooled ASUS GeForce 7800GT which died after prolonged use. It's most likely not Bumpgate, but thermal stress under 80-90 Celcius is real. BGA chips had failures before and after Bumpgate too, take Radeon 9700 for example.

It's worth noting that Quadro variations of G71 and G80 are easier to find in working conditions. Did Nvidia applied some manufacturing fixes to their professional line? Who knows.

Likely better manufacturing.

Reply 6 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-04-23, 10:21:

I would guess better cooling and less extreme clocks on the pro products so less thermal stress and hence a longer life .

Reply 7 of 11, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I pulled out the 7950GT and it doesn't even POST now. Before it DID atleast post.

So its gone down hill just sitting in storage. The only thing I can think of is two years of temperature changes due to the weather in my area have damaged the solder.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 8 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bumpgate is one thing, but if solder is an issue, why aren't ATI cards of the sames gens dying in large numbers (or are they and I do not know about it ) ? Weather changes relatively slowly and not extremely enough to cause issues, IMHO . 50 degree temp. variations in 5 minutes do not occur in most inhabited areas, especially ondoors .

Reply 9 of 11, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-04-25, 23:02:

Bumpgate is one thing, but if solder is an issue, why aren't ATI cards of the sames gens dying in large numbers (or are they and I do not know about it ) ? Weather changes relatively slowly and not extremely enough to cause issues, IMHO . 50 degree temp. variations in 5 minutes do not occur in most inhabited areas, especially ondoors .

Ati's dying too. But can't say which exact models except ATI FireGL X1 (Radeon 9700 based), had here 4 cards total - 2 dead, one working, after about year in storage died too. Broken image. Also have Quadro FX1000, which died after testing. Guess that everything after 2002 is quite high chance that it will be dead or die soon.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 10 of 11, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a 7800GT.

It worked for about 60 seconds, then it started HEAVILY artifacting and now the card just won't post. Fucking excellent.

At this rate I'm never going to have a complete 7000 series set.

To add insult to injury it seems to have offed the testrigs motherboard with it, since now that system wont even boot on its IGP. (I tested the card in other systems, its def dead)

Reply 11 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My feeling is that somewhere between 2002 and 2007-ish, manufacturing was affected by something that got progressively worse and culminated with the G86 issues . Hopefully, those issues are behind us and newer chips are more durable. At the very least, GPUs past the 9800 series do not seem to be massively dying, yet, AFAIK . Time will tell .