VOGONS

First post, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last week I bought a VLB graphics card, with unknown chipset, untested and even by picture it was unclear what it was.

Got it along with the 486 boards and a DX50 CPU (those are working already, but need more testing befir I post).

Now this graphics card turned out to be based on the Avance Logic Inc ALG2228A chip. Everything looked normal, no caps broken off but with a little bit of dirt on the VLB side of the bus connectors.

After cleaning I put it on a VLB board with a Cyrix DX/2 and 8 MB Ram which I know that is working with a Trident To GUI9420.

Screen: rubbish.

Took it out and took another look at the card with as magnifying glass and it seems there has been a bad repair at the graphics chip.

So, experts, Is this fixable?

If yes:
There now is 1MB memory available, in four 256kx8 chips. Will soldering four extra memory chips with the same specs add 1MB just the same way it works with "regular" socketed graphics cards?

Attachments

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 1 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
waterbeesje wrote on 2020-05-24, 21:10:
Last week I bought a VLB graphics card, with unknown chipset, untested and even by picture it was unclear what it was. […]
Show full quote

Last week I bought a VLB graphics card, with unknown chipset, untested and even by picture it was unclear what it was.

Got it along with the 486 boards and a DX50 CPU (those are working already, but need more testing befir I post).

Now this graphics card turned out to be based on the Avance Logic Inc ALG2228A chip. Everything looked normal, no caps broken off but with a little bit of dirt on the VLB side of the bus connectors.

After cleaning I put it on a VLB board with a Cyrix DX/2 and 8 MB Ram which I know that is working with a Trident To GUI9420.

Took it out and took another look at the card with as magnifying glass and it seems there has been a bad repair at the graphics chip.

If yes:
There now is 1MB memory available, in four 256kx8 chips. Will soldering four extra memory chips with the same specs add 1MB just the same way it works with "regular" socketed graphics cards?

Same issue as here?
Re: odd garbled font in VGA mode

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
waterbeesje wrote on 2020-05-24, 21:10:
Last week I bought a VLB graphics card, with unknown chipset, untested and even by picture it was unclear what it was. […]
Show full quote

If yes:

After having done a little bit of detective work, did you buy this card off of Incanus? Both of you have an account on tweakers so I presume that is where you got this card from 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 4, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed we both have a Tweakers account (just looked It up), but that is not where I got it (Marktplasts actually).

The problem seems to be the same kind, but it is definately another card: mind does not have dip switches 😀

It looks like mine has got a bad repair at the main chip, and I suspect that to be the problem. But I could be wrong.

I will test my card with another monitor (an old one) and another motherboard some day, maybe there is no issue then.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 4, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been a while since the last post, but the story continues. As with all fairytales it starts with someone bad and ends with a happily ever after.

I had to take another look at the card once again and noticed there were three connectors loose (rubbing then gently with some tweezers)
Two of them were just loose legs from the chip (left of the repair) and one was the missing wire of the previous repair.

I found a piece of wire that I thought would work and soldered it on. Heated the loose legs and it seems to work well now!

Attachments

• IMG-20201017-WA0008.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG-20201017-WA0008.jpeg
    File size
    752.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    proof it works
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG-20201017-WA0003.jpeg