VOGONS

First post, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, I'm super new to the scene. Hoping to get some help.

I recently bought an old Diamond Monster 3D 4MB Voodoo 1 card off ebay in hopes of getting it running on a retro build I've been working on for the last few months. As the title suggests, despite properly installing the card into an available PCI slot and running the pairing cable from it to my ATI Mach64, WIN95 doesn't detect or install anything on startup which seems... odd. An AWE64, which I recently installed, was detected immediately. Prior to the AWE64, I tried another random PCI card and it was detected immediately, no problem. With the Diamond card however, It's like the card isn't even there. It's probably worth noting that as of this post, I have no method of installing the proper drivers for the card onto win95. I tried burning a few discs with said drivers but for whatever reason, two separate CDROM drives from the mid 90s don't want to read the burned discs, no matter what speed I burn them at. I managed to find a relatively cheap diamond monster 3d install disc on ebay so hoping when that comes in the mail, and I manually try to install the drivers/hardware maybe that'll solve my issue but I'm not sure. It's possible the card is DOA but with the pairing cable, it at least works in conjunction with my 2D Mach64 card to give me standard VGA video so?

this post, https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/ … but_working_in/ seemed to indicate similar issues and it makes me wonder if it isn't something to do with my mobo in general. I'm currently running a Pentium 133 on a BCM SQ593 mobo. Up until trying to put this old machine together, I'd never heard of a BCM mobo.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Is it possible my MOBO just isn't compatible with this kind of card? Are Diamond cards just finnicky in general? Would a Orchid card produce similar results? Is there some weird BIOS setting I should be looking for?

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, good evening!

A while ago, I experimented with a Monster 3D..
But it was in a Power Mac (running Virtual PC).
The YT channel in my signature has some videos of this.

Maybe the description has some functioning links, still.
If not, please check the mirrors of falconfly.de.
They contain lots of drivers for the Voodoos.

Good luck. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RYZINN wrote on 2020-11-28, 14:12:
Hello all, I'm super new to the scene. Hoping to get some help. […]
Show full quote

Hello all, I'm super new to the scene. Hoping to get some help.

I recently bought an old Diamond Monster 3D 4MB Voodoo 1 card off ebay in hopes of getting it running on a retro build I've been working on for the last few months. As the title suggests, despite properly installing the card into an available PCI slot and running the pairing cable from it to my ATI Mach64, WIN95 doesn't detect or install anything on startup which seems... odd. An AWE64, which I recently installed, was detected immediately. Prior to the AWE64, I tried another random PCI card and it was detected immediately, no problem. With the Diamond card however, It's like the card isn't even there. It's probably worth noting that as of this post, I have no method of installing the proper drivers for the card onto win95. I tried burning a few discs with said drivers but for whatever reason, two separate CDROM drives from the mid 90s don't want to read the burned discs, no matter what speed I burn them at. I managed to find a relatively cheap diamond monster 3d install disc on ebay so hoping when that comes in the mail, and I manually try to install the drivers/hardware maybe that'll solve my issue but I'm not sure. It's possible the card is DOA but with the pairing cable, it at least works in conjunction with my 2D Mach64 card to give me standard VGA video so?

this post, https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/ … but_working_in/ seemed to indicate similar issues and it makes me wonder if it isn't something to do with my mobo in general. I'm currently running a Pentium 133 on a BCM SQ593 mobo. Up until trying to put this old machine together, I'd never heard of a BCM mobo.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Is it possible my MOBO just isn't compatible with this kind of card? Are Diamond cards just finnicky in general? Would a Orchid card produce similar results? Is there some weird BIOS setting I should be looking for?

Not sure what you are expecting to see, but Windows 95 won't have any drivers for any Voodoo card (neither will Windows 98 SE, for that matter).
What you should see in Device Manager is an "unknown PCI video device" or something similar. If you don't see such a device, try other PCI slots (also, make sure that you are using the card with a period correct system, it tends to have issues with newer platforms). If the card is still not detected, it's probably dead (even if passthrough from the 2D card works!).

As for the drivers, I recommend the latest reference 3dfx drivers for the Voodoo 1 card (attached).

Also, for transfering files, buy an IDE/PATA to USB adapter, it's well worth the money: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gembird-USB-to-IDE-a … ikAAOSw9G1fQAkN

Attachments

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k