VOGONS

First post, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Sony Viao PCG-GRX560K laptop with a 17 inch 1600 x 1200 display.

The machine is nothing special otherwise, but the display has the best upscaling from 800 x 600 I have ever seen. The 17 inch size is also perfect not-to-small, not-t0-big for playing late DOS and 9X era games for me.

I would love to be able detach the display and use it with other systems. My understanding is I would need to find a correct lcd controller board to make this possible.

My question is... what makes the scaling on this display so good? And would I lose it by turning it into a stand-alone display? Given the scaling looks perfect without any drivers installed, I assume it is not the work of the onboard Radeon 7500 Mobility.

Reply 1 of 2, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most often, the scaling is performed by the graphics chip (the Radeon 7500 Mobility in your case). It will be initialized by the video BIOS to upscale the image in real time.

Reply 2 of 2, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2021-01-05, 21:53:

Most often, the scaling is performed by the graphics chip (the Radeon 7500 Mobility in your case). It will be initialized by the video BIOS to upscale the image in real time.

Well that would eliminate this idea... maybe what I should be looking at then if there is a desktop equivalent with the same scaler.