VOGONS

First post, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are Tridents known for their banding issues all around? Trying to find more information on if it's fixable. I have a 1mb 8900C and when plugged into the CRT it looks just fine, but when on an LCD I get a massive amount of vertical ghostly white lines running down my screen. These lines only show up when games are running. When running win3.11 I don't get any banding either, but on the CRT it flashes slightly and gives me a headache, so I'll probably have to lower the resolution or color depth?

Will take pictures when I get home if needed. Should I upgrade my card? I have no plans to buy anything new considering the prices (ET4000s are expensive right now especially) but might consider a WD card since they aren't as prohibitively expensive.

Thank you!

Edit: Not 100% sure if it's ghosting but it doesn't look like a gradient, just every other centimeter the screen's contrast seems to go up to the maximum.

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Charleston wrote on 2021-07-14, 17:08:
Are Tridents known for their banding issues all around? Trying to find more information on if it's fixable. I have a 1mb 8900C a […]
Show full quote

Are Tridents known for their banding issues all around? Trying to find more information on if it's fixable. I have a 1mb 8900C and when plugged into the CRT it looks just fine, but when on an LCD I get a massive amount of vertical ghostly white lines running down my screen. These lines only show up when games are running. When running win3.11 I don't get any banding either, but on the CRT it flashes slightly and gives me a headache, so I'll probably have to lower the resolution or color depth?

Will take pictures when I get home if needed. Should I upgrade my card? I have no plans to buy anything new considering the prices (ET4000s are expensive right now especially) but might consider a WD card since they aren't as prohibitively expensive.

Thank you!

Edit: Not 100% sure if it's ghosting but it doesn't look like a gradient, just every other centimeter the screen's contrast seems to go up to the maximum.

Have a look here : ISA VGA output crap on LCD?

Also, I seem to recall that someone here was experimenting with replacing RAMDACs to address image quality issues with some older VGA cards .
EDIT : Here is that thread Let's improve video output quality of VGA ISA/VLB cards (First success !)

Reply 2 of 2, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-07-14, 17:23:

Have a look here : ISA VGA output crap on LCD?

Also, I seem to recall that someone here was experimenting with replacing RAMDACs to address image quality issues with some older VGA cards .
EDIT : Here is that thread Let's improve video output quality of VGA ISA/VLB cards (First success !)

Thank you! Just hopefully I can find something in here that works out, using a CRT is fine but like I said in windows it gives me a headache.

Is it possible to even adjust an LCDs hz? I'm pretty sure it's stuck at 60 so maybe the trident outputs the wrong amount and messes it up.