VOGONS

First post, by Señor Ventura

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Surely all of you would remember all of those games that ran with stuttering, or abrupt scroll. One example is "raptor: call of shadows", in wich the stuttering of the background is so strong that breaks the scroll in various parts.

https://youtu.be/grXkzisSEM4?t=529

By then, one could thought that has no solution, but i wonder if there is some way to fix this kind of issues in so much games... Is it fault of the graphics card?, Wich models of graphic cards are recommended to avoid this stuttering/lagged scroll?.

Let's talk about that...

Reply 1 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What are your system specs?

Some graphics cards have issues with certain DOS games. See this compatibility chart for more details. Also, using DVI instead of VGA can cause problems since some cards force 60 Hz over DVI while most DOS games run at 70 Hz natively.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 3, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-07-14, 01:59:

This very impotent to solve your current problem OP. Otherwise we'll have to consult our crystal balls...😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 3, by Señor Ventura

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some graphics cards have issues with certain DOS games. See this compatibility chart for more details. Also, using DVI instead of VGA can cause problems since some cards force 60 Hz over DVI while most DOS games run at 70 Hz natively.

So, in some cases the graphics card could be fine, but not the monitor, ¿right?.

I have an S3 trio 64v+, and i have an G40 ibm monitor from an ibm aptiva.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-14, 02:19:

This very impotent to solve your current problem OP. Otherwise we'll have to consult our crystal balls...😉

In a beginning, i would have conformed only knowing if it can be fixed in some way, but my specs are the already mentioned just right up ^^