VOGONS

First post, by erikarn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi!

I've been poking at a 386dx40 + tvga8900d setup here. I noted that TELLSET says the FIFO isn't enabled. When I fiddle with LFIFO a bit to try and force it on for text modes, it doubles the Landmark 2.0 video benchmark results, but it renders a bunch of the lower VGA resolutions broken. Now, my guess is that the LFIFO tool is programming a bunch of registers as well as the FIFO enable/disable, and that's breaking all kinds of fun stuff as I don't know what those other fields mean right now.

So, long story short - is there anyone who knows anything about the ye olde FIFO modes on these older trident cards? And/or, was there some register level programming guide for the thing back in yonder day? I've found some stuff, but it doesn't cover all of the registers and specifically not the ones that LFIFO seems to want to override.

Thanks!

-adrian

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have only ever enabled the FIFO jumper and have not done anything beyond, i.e no software. I have not observed any problems arising from that, only increased performance.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by erikarn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2021-07-25, 17:11:

I have only ever enabled the FIFO jumper and have not done anything beyond, i.e no software. I have not observed any problems arising from that, only increased performance.

Hm do you have a system handy with that card in it? Can you just run TELLSET after boot and see if FIFO shows up as ON?

My adapter doesn't have a FIFO or 0 wait state jumper on it. 🙁

-adrian

Reply 3 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Attach that program to a post (I don't have it), I can try to run it on some computer. I don't have the card installed in any of my machines but I can try it on my test rig still, just tell what things to test.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜