VOGONS

First post, by mike_canada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes my computer is not new, and my video card is ATI radeon RV250 Mobility FireGL 9000.
I put newer browsers on my computer (firefox 60 and Seamonkey), and they all want to not serve me with WebGL graphics because my card along with several others are in a "blacklist". Why? I don't know.

I can run OpenGL apps on my desktop, and yes DOSBOX is included on that list. No complaints there.

I just think this is probably some control issue in the browser world which prompts people to keep piling up the landfill with 1-year old computers again and again. 🙁

Anyways... What I want to know is, is there any modern day browser I could use that won't reject WebGL because of my video card being blacklisted? My system is Linux with Slackware 14 32-bit installed.

If that's not possible, is there some sort of software rendering add-on I could download that can integrate with Firefox or Seamonkey so that webpages think that I actually have the proper WebGL extensions installed and working?

P.S. I pity the people who currently use only MS-DOS out there with Arachne or Dillo as their main web browser. Why? because not only would WebGL may not work for them, but they probably can't access HTTPS sites. 🙁

Reply 1 of 2, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Using an alien technology codenamed google, I peered into the realm of electron patterns and scryed the knowledge that WebGL 1.0 needs OpenGL 2.0, WebGL 2.0 needs OpenGL 3.0 and your card supports OpenGL version 1.5

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 2, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't tried it for WebGL, but there is always a software GL driver, like llvmpipe. This is what I get when I run the following command on Slackware 14.2:

$ LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 glxinfo […]
Show full quote

$ LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 glxinfo

... cut ...
Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)
Device: llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 128 bits) (0xffffffff)
Version: 12.0.1
Accelerated: no
Video memory: 16023MB
Unified memory: no
Preferred profile: core (0x1)
Max core profile version: 3.3
Max compat profile version: 3.0
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 128 bits)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 12.0.1
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30

So it might work. Maybe someone with a K6 system already has tried it.