VOGONS

First post, by Ultrafop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone! First post!

I have an issue and I am hoping one of the esteemed members of this community may be able to point me in the right direction to move forward.

I am currently working on 2 win98SE builds with intel 440BX chipsets (Build 1 - Asus P2B; Build 2 = QDI BrillianX-I - BIOS ver. 1.0SL). Each build has a voodoo 3 video card and a Pentium 2 of varying speed (build 1 = 450mhz/ build 2 = 300mhz). I cloned my drive from my primary build so that moving over to build 2 would be easy, as the 440bx drivers, as well as voodoo drivers, would be present.

Here comes the issue:
On build one, the system boots without a hitch and DOS titles work perfectly fine in windows 98's shell. On build two... Well... the Windows 98 logo disappears after my autoexe.bat runs. The screen is totally black for a long time and if I don't tweak settings in my startup just right the system just turns itself off at that stage of booting. When I do boot into Windows it doesn't run DOS titles, only win9x titles. When attempting to run a DOS program I get a message in the shell saying something along the lines of "This window can't run because of the way it uses the display" and asks me to hit alt and enter to go to full screen which then freezes the explorer (as does toggling full screen start). This same issue also occurs with a voodoo banshee.

Now here's the weirdest part (and hopefully a clue for someone more knowledgeable than I am):
If I set the video to it's lowest settings (which I believe cuts out the voodoo drivers) in safe mode, boot, and then reactivate the voodoo drivers in a soft boot (i.e. the BIOS does not POST post again, it just reboots windows without actually restarting), the system runs perfectly. Everything works correctly.... Until restarting. Then we're back to square one.

Because this unit is using a clone image of my other unit. Theoretically the voodoo 3 should have 0 issues because the drivers are the same as my first unit... so I'm kind of perplexed. I have the feeling this is being caused by the motherboard, since it's the only really different component, but I can't quite make out how that would be if I can soft boot into windows and get everything working correctly.

I know that was a lot. Thank you to anyone who can offer any information to assist!

Reply 1 of 3, by Ultrafop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update:

I was being dense (of course 🤣) and hadn't cleared out my autoexec. One system had an awe64 and the clone had an SBLive. Cleared all the startup nonsense and: Bob's your uncle. I'm a bit fuzzy on how I got it to boot at all knowing what the fix was now. Because the issue seemed to impact video so directly I just never really considered sound as a culprit... Because it just worked haha. Anyways: Just posting an update in the event anyone else can benefit from the information in the future.

Reply 2 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ultrafop wrote on 2021-08-24, 07:14:

Update:

I was being dense (of course 🤣) and hadn't cleared out my autoexec. One system had an awe64 and the clone had an SBLive. Cleared all the startup nonsense and: Bob's your uncle. I'm a bit fuzzy on how I got it to boot at all knowing what the fix was now. Because the issue seemed to impact video so directly I just never really considered sound as a culprit... Because it just worked haha. Anyways: Just posting an update in the event anyone else can benefit from the information in the future.

Welcome to Vogons 😀

Was about to suggest it might be related to the cloning, but I see you've figured that already.

Also, notice the BrillianX I is still on the first production release BIOS (1.0SL) and there have been quite a few updates since then which you can see here

https://web.archive.org/web/20080828205626/ht … pport/d_bx1.htm

There's also a later BETA release here, with better support large HDDs and Coppermine CPUs (128)

https://web.archive.org/web/20071025200948/ht … IOS/b1_b21c.BIN

Reply 3 of 3, by Ultrafop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-08-24, 07:40:
Welcome to Vogons :) […]
Show full quote
Ultrafop wrote on 2021-08-24, 07:14:

Update:

Welcome to Vogons 😀

Was about to suggest it might be related to the cloning, but I see you've figured that already.

Also, notice the BrillianX I is still on the first production release BIOS (1.0SL) and there have been quite a few updates since then which you can see here

https://web.archive.org/web/20080828205626/ht … pport/d_bx1.htm

There's also a later BETA release here, with better support large HDDs and Coppermine CPUs (128)

https://web.archive.org/web/20071025200948/ht … IOS/b1_b21c.BIN

This is great! Thank you!!