VOGONS

Voodoo 1 displays garbage

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D will lock up the computer if it runs at more than 66MHz FSB. Tried on several motherboards and chipsets. (Using the correct PCI divider of course!) It's the most speed sensitive card I have. It also got picky about the case I use it in so I stopped using it completely.

Reply 22 of 30, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With the Banshee I am lucky then in that case. Works like a charm on my xp2400+ 133mhz fsb.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 23 of 30, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey fellas!
I'm back from holidays and I've got a lot of news for you!

By the way, I'm happily surprised to see Tiido chimed in here! Man, I heard about you on 4chan's /g/ way back in 2000-what-was-it? 11? 12? 13? I remember being very impressed with your website and dedication for Windows 98!

I've got the 40-pin SOJ sockets and with the help of a friend, we managed to put them on. What followed was an intense session of tests across 2 CPUs, 2 different FSB speeds, 2 different Voodoo 1 4MB cards, 2 different games and 2 different memory types.
In case you really don't care, we arrived at a conclusion that the Voodoo 1 has a particular dislike for fast CPUs - 1GHz and above is definitely bad, but for no discernible reason. As we gather more resources, we will try explore this issue further.

CPUs: { 'Pentium 3 Coppermine 1GHz 133MHz FSB', 'Pentium 3-S Tualatin 1.4GHz 133MHz FSB' }
FSB: { 66, 133 }
Voodoo: { 'Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D', 'Trust Voodoo Dragon' }
Games: { 'Battle Arena Toshinden', 'Carmageddon Max Pack' }
Memory types: { 'T224162B-35J', 'mh514260aj7' }

Initial findings:
1. GRUB refuses to boot on the single Tualatin-S with 133MHz FSB. The hell? It seems to be stuck completing the ESCD. It didn't do that before.
2. All combinations with 133MHz FSB cause errors. And this is where things get wacky!

So, we have come to the following findings:
1. Equivalent 35ns (83MHz) memory yields exactly the same errors.
2. Slower memory yields even bigger errors! Now with more film grain on top of the stairs, rather than uniform 2-color stairs.
3. Battle Arena Toshinden is very tolerant in tests.
4. Carmageddon Max Pack is a hot mess. It will fail even if the 3dfx logo doesn't. Probably because this installation is screwed up somehow.
5. In general, the lower 66MHz FSB always yielded successful test results with no film grain and no stairs. Except for Carmageddon Max Pack hanging up the system.
6. When presented with 60MHz VRAM and 1GHz CPU at 133MHz FSB, we have witnessed Battle Arena Toshinden completely kill the VGA output instead of showing the stairs! The monitor said the signal is dead. BIOS PCI card read 26 as to indicate the last action was checking up on the 6th PCI lane. HDD LEDs dead. Power LEDs on. PS/2 keyboard's numlock hanged. Trying to "blindly" exit the game through known keystrokes yielded no response. Ctrl+Alt+Del also yielded no response, which makes it pretty clear that the CPU had to lock up because PS/2 is located quite low in the IRQ queue, so the CPU had plenty of opportunity to act upon the interrupts but clearly ignored it because it's locked on something.

So our major takeaway from all this is:
1. CPU speeds are key as many of you have said. But we don't know if it's just the CPU speed, or just the FSB! We'll find out later!
2. To me it sounds like bad drivers. Fortunately Voodoo drivers are open source, so for the few games that bothered with dynamic linking I can try and look for any obvious fuckups in the source code.
3. You may think we wasted time, money and effort, but we now have 2 Voodoo 1 cards with fully replacable memory! This gives us an opportunity to fix the card more easily should the VRAMs die or if we find faster replacements to test.

Thank you for everything! Here's a photo of what your 4MB Voodoo should look like with this neat little mod.

Attachments

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS
LinLin adapter documentation
+ various capacitor list threads

Reply 25 of 30, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aebtdom wrote on 2021-08-07, 21:10:

With the Banshee I am lucky then in that case. Works like a charm on my xp2400+ 133mhz fsb.

My poor Banshee has had a rough life. The last owner cut a hole into the AGP connector so that it could fit into a 1.5V key. Who knows what kind of horrors its been through.

IMG_20210825_201519_resize_1.jpg
Filename
File size
442.85 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 26 of 30, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-08-26, 00:22:
Aebtdom wrote on 2021-08-07, 21:10:

My poor Banshee has had a rough life. The last owner cut a hole into the AGP connector so that it could fit into a 1.5V key. Who knows what kind of horrors its been through.

That's a really bad idea to do as these cards don't operate at 1.5v. Ouch!

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 27 of 30, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-08-26, 00:22:

My poor Banshee has had a rough life.

oh man.. you seem to have just the worst luck of anyone. every time I start thinking about how shitty of a time I'm having with broken hardware, I think of of you.

Reply 28 of 30, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2021-08-26, 00:32:

oh man.. you seem to have just the worst luck of anyone. every time I start thinking about how shitty of a time I'm having with broken hardware, I think of of you.

I wasn't going to tell anyone because it's embarrassing but this one is for you.

I used the wrong retention clip on a Socket 7 motherboard last week and broke the hook on the ZIF socket. It was not a good day.

I broke the retention clip on this Socket 7 ZIF socket. How difficult is it to replace?

Reply 29 of 30, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everybody gangsta til they this mafk

Attachments

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS
LinLin adapter documentation
+ various capacitor list threads