VOGONS

First post, by Nerve33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm considering buying a used GeForce Ti4200 128mb. The seller hasn't tested the card in games or 3dmark yet, so I was thinking of asking them to run some tests on it, but I don't know the first thing about testing older GPUs. I heard of people running Quake 2 on Voodoo cards for an hour or so to ensure it's working. How do I make sure the card won't crap out on me a week after me getting it? I was thinking of asking them to run 3dmark03 and play Vice City for an hour. Is this reasonable?

Reply 1 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nerve33 wrote on 2024-04-21, 15:06:

How do I make sure the card won't crap out on me a week after me getting it?

You don't. These are 20+ years old hardware, most of the time with unknown history. You just buy them, do basic maintenance and hope for the best. If the card was in good condition, stored well and you cleaned it and changed thermal grease, you have a fair chance that with the limited use retro hardware get, it'll last for a long time.

For testing, imho one 3DMark test is plenty. If the card is unstable it'll most likely be enough to show. If the card has overheating problems on longer tests due to dry thermal paste, you just risk frying the GPU.

Even if they are faulty, the GF4 and 5 are capacitor plague era cards, I had luck buying faulty ones and fixing them by recaping, but that is a risk to be taken knowing that if you aren't lucky you are left with a faulty card and no room to complain.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep in mind testing takes time and effort, which the seller might not to do.
Its a gamble, I sold a lot of stull as untested last year, 99% of it probably worked (allowing 1% for items to die in transit (as RandomStranger said this is old hardware and it will fail eventually) but was all low value stuff, and I was moving countries so doing a clear out so returns would have cost me both time and money I didn't have.

I'd thing about 1/3 of the cost of the price of a working part is a fair price for untested.

Once a card is tested then the seller is absolutely intitled to increase the price if they wish, but of course have to give a full refund if it arrives dead.

Reply 3 of 9, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Everything I’ve ever bought was untested, you basically can’t test. Even if the seller says they tested, that means nothing. It could have been tested months ago and then break during shipping, who knows. It’s always a gamble.

Reply 4 of 9, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nerve33 wrote on 2024-04-21, 15:06:

I was thinking of asking them to run [whatever] for an hour. Is this reasonable?

Only if you reimburse them for their time, independent of whether you end up buying the card or not.

Last edited by elszgensa on 2024-04-22, 01:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I love the gamble, love it more when it pays off and you get a nice bit of kit at a good price that works, tested stuff tends to fetch a higher premium so I avoid it unless its something hard to get. I dont mind doing the odd repair either but do tend to avoid stuff that has has a visible need for repairs. (Like clearly bloated and burst caps on a motherboard unless its something special and worth the extra work)

The main issue with asking the seller to test is that many dont actually have the required hardware or knowledge to do the tests, they end up with random bits of hardware and just want to offload them.

I would rather do the testing myself.

Reply 6 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like getting stuff that nobody has tried to test. If some slack jawed knuckle dragging neanderthal is gonna subject ancient boards to stress and torment, I prefer that to be me.

If someone has the confidence and competence to test something, it's advertised tested and DOA guaranteed and priced accordingly. If they have not done it, there's a reason, no time, in which case you get a slapdash POST test and you don't even know if video RAM above 256k is any good, or no confidence or competence, they may kill a perfectly good card either before or immediately after getting a "result"... meaning they test it and yank it out with the power on or other atrocity and you still get a dead card or no card.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 9, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-22, 01:17:

I dont mind doing the odd repair either but do tend to avoid stuff that has has a visible need for repairs. (Like clearly bloated and burst caps on a motherboard unless its something special and worth the extra work)

I'm the opposite - I like to get stuff that has (*reasonable*) visible need for repairs, particularly hardware with bad caps, as those are by far the easiest repairs (I have the equipment and quite a few bad boards, so spare caps are not a problem at all.)
Obviously, I won't get any boards that have bad burns or cracks, as those are pretty much impossible to repair (or at least not without a ton of effort.)

BTW, while getting untested retro hardware might give a good return in terms of what works, I find this to almost never be the case with newer PCI-E graphics cards, especially anything high-end that's still current. For example, if someone says they have an "untested" GTX1080 and selling it for parts, because, oh they have no way to test it... be sure that it WAS tested and found to be NOT working 100%. Quite a few dishonest sellers out there that will do this. In contrast, the number of times I've seen sellers to test something and tell you specifically what was wrong with it (and thus sold for parts) are very few. Even fewer that will sell it for a bargain price.

Reply 9 of 9, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
momaka wrote on 2024-04-29, 14:35:
I'm the opposite - I like to get stuff that has (*reasonable*) visible need for repairs, particularly hardware with bad caps, as […]
Show full quote
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-22, 01:17:

I dont mind doing the odd repair either but do tend to avoid stuff that has has a visible need for repairs. (Like clearly bloated and burst caps on a motherboard unless its something special and worth the extra work)

I'm the opposite - I like to get stuff that has (*reasonable*) visible need for repairs, particularly hardware with bad caps, as those are by far the easiest repairs (I have the equipment and quite a few bad boards, so spare caps are not a problem at all.)
Obviously, I won't get any boards that have bad burns or cracks, as those are pretty much impossible to repair (or at least not without a ton of effort.)

BTW, while getting untested retro hardware might give a good return in terms of what works, I find this to almost never be the case with newer PCI-E graphics cards, especially anything high-end that's still current. For example, if someone says they have an "untested" GTX1080 and selling it for parts, because, oh they have no way to test it... be sure that it WAS tested and found to be NOT working 100%. Quite a few dishonest sellers out there that will do this. In contrast, the number of times I've seen sellers to test something and tell you specifically what was wrong with it (and thus sold for parts) are very few. Even fewer that will sell it for a bargain price.

Yup SMD and BGA makes repairs super aggravating unless you have the board view for the part, equipment required to do SMD and BGA repairs and also the software to test the parts after repairs. (Reballing is nightmare fuel for modern ICs)

I watch this guy on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@northwestrepair and really unless you have a similar level of expertise and tenacity, repairs to modern stuff by the layman is simply not worth the extra effort, best to send it to a shop for repairs.

Tony is a wizard at GPU repairs and just from watching his videos you can tell that nVidia stuff is far easier to repair here than the newer AMD GPUs, AMD really loves to do some asinine shit with their GPUs just to fuck with the repair techs, there is also a lack of both board views and in-depth documented technical knowledge for AMD GPus.