VOGONS

First post, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't care much unless the fan was making way too much noise.
That actually changed recently as I've going through "my stash" of Geforces and ATIs over the last couple of days giving them a good clean up, new thermal paste, fan lubrication and testing.

My thinking is to leave the original fan and heat sink, when possible. If I cannot do anything regarding the fan, get a new one. Same for the heat sink, i.e., if I don't have a proper fan that will sit in the original cooler.
I've got some new VGA coolers out of Amazon, but I'm pretty sure those are in sites like Aliexpress as well. They are inexpensive and work well for the most part.
For cleaning I used 99% IPA saturated wipes, and for lubrication 3-in-1 oil (searching online it seems is suitable for the task).

At any rate, here are some examples, I went through several more!
Geforce4 ti4600
Kept the original cooler. This guy was veery noisy, I thought I had to replace the cooler entirely, but in the end it wasn't necessary.

geforce4-ti4600.jpg
Filename
geforce4-ti4600.jpg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Geforce4 ti4200
This is the card from my "black screen" post on this very forum. Didn't really need much care other than some cleaning, but since I was at it, might as well give it some love.

geforce4-ti4200.jpg
Filename
geforce4-ti4200.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Geforce3
Hate this thermal paste they used that becomes rock solid over time. I scraped it with a plastic tool, did what I could, there was a bunch of this stuff. At any rate, working great with the original parts and silently now 😀

geforce3.jpg
Filename
geforce3.jpg
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ATI 8500
There are some cases that the fan is beyond repair, and is just better to replace it, or to replace the entire cooler.
In this case, it was only the fan. It was a shame because the original one had the ATI logo on it.

ati8500.jpg
Filename
ati8500.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And just for the chuckle, this one just needed some cleaning. I was kind of surprised when I removed the cooler from this Geforce 6 6600GT, it looks so advanced 😁

geforce-6600gt.jpg
Filename
geforce-6600gt.jpg
File size
850.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Be free!

Reply 2 of 4, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Only enough to post a somewhat nice picture to the https://vgamuseum.info/

So not really.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 4, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote on 2024-05-04, 02:18:

I too like to clean and apply a fresh coat of thermal paste when I buy a retro gfx card.

Sounds like a good plan!
What do you use for getting the fan working again (if anything)?

demiurge wrote on 2024-05-04, 03:32:

Only enough to post a somewhat nice picture to the https://vgamuseum.info/
So not really.

Very nice, I'm not familiar with that S3 ("chrome" I guess). I think is the first time I see a PCIe S3!

Be free!

Reply 4 of 4, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I get a new card I always replace the thermal paste if the heatsink isn't glued on. Most of the times these cards aren't serviced at all unless stated otherwise. Which means they have 20+ years old fossilized thermal paste.

2 days ago I just did that to a 7300GT I got from a coworker a while ago. I already had one of the exact same model (ASUS Silent) so I knew the thermal paste should be about the same as dry modeling plaster. I was right.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png