VOGONS

First post, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi guys, another Voodoo3 repair attempt thread. I got this card in a sad state as non-working. It was missing the bracket, the heatsink, the 3 capacitors on the right and the one next to the feature connector.

V3.jpg
Filename
V3.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But it's working, Glide included, and no stability issues so I thought it's worth the effort.
The issue I'm having is bad output with "trembling" characters. It's related to the resolution/refresh, for example the BIOS/POST screen looks only a bit blurry, while in the DOS mode the problem is worse and apparent.

This video demonstrates the problem, it might be too compressed by the hosting site but it still accurately shows what the characters look like. If anyone wants to see another recording or photo please let me know.
https://imgur.com/dwKSB0o

I did solder the 4 missing capacitors and while I was at it I changed the other 4 electrolytic as well. Also the computer/monitor/power/cables etc are irrelevant. The card has the same behavior in a completely different environment and, the opposite, another identical card works fine in the test system.

So, any ideas what might be causing this? Any suggestions for actions?

Reply 2 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks like pixel clock generation issue, likely in the analog domain. You'll probably have to carefully inspect some passives around the main chip, maybe even replace a tantalum.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜