VOGONS

PowerVR Fun Thread

Topic actions

Reply 1020 of 1104, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All ok, its just war, thanks everyone for support, i just surprised of support of vogons and mention me. Sorry for offtopic, now lets return to topic. Everything ok, and i love friendly atmosphere here.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 1021 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did a patch for the PowerVR version of Virtual On ever get released for the standard version or does a rip exist if I look hard enough?

What about PureVex? Is that available, it’s just a demo correct or is it a full game?

Reply 1023 of 1104, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Chadti99 wrote on 2022-12-26, 10:10:

Did a patch for the PowerVR version of Virtual On ever get released for the standard version or does a rip exist if I look hard enough?

What about PureVex? Is that available, it’s just a demo correct or is it a full game?

No patch was ever released.

PureVex is a full game.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1025 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seemingly silly question but I just can’t figure it out, where can I find the MiniGL driver for Quake for the PowerVR?
I actually have the file but I can’t seem to determine where I got it. It’s not in the driver packages and several Google searches have only turned up a file for Half Life.

Update: I must of got it from Matrox’s website. Is 1.0.1.9 the latest version available?

Reply 1027 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Warlord!

Has anyone been able to run Mech2 without dithering? With Quake you can change the color depth with a command line option to 24bit and it makes a world of difference. Any chance you can do that with Mechwarrior?

Reply 1028 of 1104, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something quite interesting : The PowerVR PCX1 is almost as hot in idle as in heavy use.
First picture was only after Windows interface usage, the second one was after 1 hour of Turok benchmark (PowerVR SGL).
This is around 120 °F.

IMG_20230223_185206.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230223_185206.jpg
File size
71.22 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20230223_204452.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230223_204452.jpg
File size
69.72 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1030 of 1104, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My PCX2 is also extremely hot, even when not in use. Maybe it doesn't need it, but I would recommend a small heatsink, or even a tiny fan.

I have some photos of heatsinks she fans in my overclocking thread.

Overclocking the Videologic PowerVR PCX2?

Reply 1031 of 1104, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to play Nerf Blaster Arena again, the SGL renderer isn't in the list at first launch. I think there is a workaroung for that but can't remember where I saw that.
Is it Kernel EX ?

Reply 1032 of 1104, by DigiMind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anybody see this kind of glitch or maybe someone can explain what is going on in the video?

At first look, I would say that I see those legendary PVR tiles and my m3d has a hardware glitch. But
- it happens only in miniGL games (Quake-based engines) and unfortunately in Unreal (as I know it has a native SGL renderer)
- it never happens in any SGL, SGLDirect, or D3D demo
- it never happens in SDL/D3D games (checked in Wipeout XL, Tomb Raider, and other several games)
- most curious aspect is "3D spatialization" of glitch, as you can see "broken tiles" are always rendered about the same point in 3D space, they aren't localized in the same point of a framebuffer (if were, then I would suggest broken VRAM chip or whatever related to the framebuffer)

Video
https://vimeo.com/804399938

Reply 1033 of 1104, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JustJulião wrote on 2023-03-02, 10:06:

I'm trying to play Nerf Blaster Arena again, the SGL renderer isn't in the list at first launch. I think there is a workaroung for that but can't remember where I saw that.
Is it Kernel EX ?

Yes, KernelEX has been documented to work: https://gona.mactar.hu/3D/

Reply 1034 of 1104, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2023-03-03, 18:34:
JustJulião wrote on 2023-03-02, 10:06:

Is it Kernel EX ?

Yes, KernelEX has been documented to work: https://gona.mactar.hu/3D/

The problem is that it's installed already.
But I came accross this post, the SGLDRV.int part reminds me something, I probably did that to make the game running on my previous installation.

DigiMind wrote on 2023-03-03, 18:04:
Does anybody see this kind of glitch or maybe someone can explain what is going on in the video? […]
Show full quote

Does anybody see this kind of glitch or maybe someone can explain what is going on in the video?

At first look, I would say that I see those legendary PVR tiles and my m3d has a hardware glitch. But
- it happens only in miniGL games (Quake-based engines) and unfortunately in Unreal (as I know it has a native SGL renderer)
- it never happens in any SGL, SGLDirect, or D3D demo
- it never happens in SDL/D3D games (checked in Wipeout XL, Tomb Raider, and other several games)
- most curious aspect is "3D spatialization" of glitch, as you can see "broken tiles" are always rendered about the same point in 3D space, they aren't localized in the same point of a framebuffer (if were, then I would suggest broken VRAM chip or whatever related to the framebuffer)

Video
https://vimeo.com/804399938

Sorry if this is in the video but I don't have a Vimeo account.
On the other topic I asked you what's your primary card.
By contrast with 3DFX accelerators, the primary card matters here. Both for compatibility and speed.
Which drivers ? Both your primary card and the M3D.

Reply 1035 of 1104, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last week I bought a game just because of this. Right now I'm struggling to get it to work.
Never seen it in any PowerVR compatible games list. It seems to be D3D though.

IMG_20230303_201627_2.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230303_201627_2.jpg
File size
130.08 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1036 of 1104, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There might have been a one lap demo of that on the 30+ demo disk that came with my Apocalypse 3Dx back in the day. At least I can't think of any other reason it seems familiar in the PowerVR context... I got the thing from CompGeeks way past prime PVR years (Months? Days ? 🤣 ) and I spent a while tryna find any one of the damn games for sale anywhere but couldn't.

I hope ppl either know the disk I'm talking about or are hella patient, I haven't seen it in years and not sure where to look.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1037 of 1104, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-03, 20:10:

There might have been a one lap demo of that on the 30+ demo disk that came with my Apocalypse 3Dx back in the day. At least I can't think of any other reason it seems familiar in the PowerVR context... I got the thing from CompGeeks way past prime PVR years (Months? Days ? 🤣 ) and I spent a while tryna find any one of the damn games for sale anywhere but couldn't.

I hope ppl either know the disk I'm talking about or are hella patient, I haven't seen it in years and not sure where to look.

It's not in my 3Dx CD. Maybe in another version, there are at least two different on vogonsdrivers.

IMG_20230303_211534.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230303_211534.jpg
File size
106.06 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1038 of 1104, by DigiMind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JustJulião wrote on 2023-03-03, 19:22:
Sorry if this is in the video but I don't have a Vimeo account. On the other topic I asked you what's your primary card. By con […]
Show full quote

Sorry if this is in the video but I don't have a Vimeo account.
On the other topic I asked you what's your primary card.
By contrast with 3DFX accelerators, the primary card matters here. Both for compatibility and speed.
Which drivers ? Both your primary card and the M3D.

Sorry, didn't find a better way than convert it to a gif
Here is the gif version
https://ibb.co/TBSQwf5

I tried Rendition Verite 2200 and S3 Trio 64 as the primary card. Seems I tried every m3d driver from Matrox's 4.0.1 to PowerVR's 4.1.2 "Revolution edition" - no luck.
It's definitely not a driver or a primary card issue.
My PC specs: MB P3B-F (default clocks), CPU Pentium II 450Mhz, RAM 196 Mb, Win98SE
Rendition at 4.10.01.3631 driver now (9-10-1998)

Reply 1039 of 1104, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow I've never seen this.
Can you play at a lower res. and tell if it changes something ?
Generally speaking, stay away from S3 cards for PowerVR gaming, it's among the slowest. Verite is fine.