VOGONS

PowerVR Fun Thread

Topic actions

Reply 1100 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also only know of motordemo_soft.exe and motordemo_3dfx.exe demos and IIRC they're more barebones prerelease demos.

The Motorhead I tested was a full version and that definitely has PowerSGL in there. It's an explicit choice apart from the Direct3D option offered.

(No idea if technically-related game Swedish Touring Car Championship has the same renderers)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1101 of 1104, by hornet1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fun fact, I used to work in the Graphics Products Division of STMicroelectronics who developed the Kyro chips. The plan was that the STG4k series (Kyro I & II) through to STG6k would use licensed PowerVR technology, but the STG7000 was going to be built using our own technology/IP. I was hired despite no professional graphics or C/C++ experience (only personal projects) to work on the OpenGL drivers.

When the whole industry took a downturn in 2001 the department was largely seconded to other projects in the business that would be more immediately profitable but I was kept on the small team keeping the STG7000 project alive; until it became clear the writing was on the wall for the division so I moved on. The division was officially shut down in 2002. Those were the days though...

We were all given a Kyro II card which I did use for quite some time but eventually sold a couple of years later, to my eternal regret.

I still have all the code and documentation I wrote (and more) from that time. I did have the somewhat crazy thought to get a Win2k development environment setup and get it all recompiled. Maybe even look at getting TempleMark to run on my recently acquired system with its Voodoo 4 (doesn't start due to lack of EMBM).

Reply 1102 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hornet1990 wrote on 2024-03-31, 17:17:

I was hired despite no professional graphics or C/C++ experience (only personal projects) to work on the OpenGL drivers.

That's probably one of the most interesting mysteries as it supposedly goes through SGL2, and that API hadn't been publicly documented or known to be supported on Kyro... (though to be fair SGL was very dead by 2001)

Even the PCX1/2's MiniGL is mysterious!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1103 of 1104, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2024-03-31, 16:55:

I also only know of motordemo_soft.exe and motordemo_3dfx.exe demos and IIRC they're more barebones prerelease demos.

The Motorhead I tested was a full version and that definitely has PowerSGL in there. It's an explicit choice apart from the Direct3D option offered.

(No idea if technically-related game Swedish Touring Car Championship has the same renderers)

I believe what I got on the other PC was the "newer demo" listed here https://community.fortunecity.ws/underworld/f … 8/motorhead.htm

Reply 1104 of 1104, by hornet1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's probably one of the most interesting mysteries as it supposedly goes through SGL2, and that API hadn't been publicly documented or known to be supported on Kyro... (though to be fair SGL was very dead by 2001)

Even the PCX1/2's MiniGL is mysterious!

We didn't handle the Kyro drivers in-house, that was Imaginations territory. I was working on the drivers for what was going to be our technology so we were starting from scratch.

I've just had a look at the extracted drivers for Kyro II that I've got and run the GL ICD through Ghidra and depends. It doesn't directly import the SGL2.dll that is included in the distribution. However looking at the disassembly it does dynamically load it and setup pointers to sgl* functions. Interestingly, many of the functions which look drawing related e.g. sgl2_index_triangles are setup but apparently not called, the ones that are called after setup are texture management and other setup/admin tasks. The D3D dll doesn't contain any symbols for sgl so likely doesn't use it. Probably not telling you anything you didn't already know though...