VOGONS

VGA Capture Thread

Topic actions

Reply 1400 of 1403, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How odd, though I don't have any Magewell PCIe cards, the drivers have compiled fine all the way up to the most recent 6.5 kernels a lot of distros ship with. Vastly different story to my Datapath card, which I literally have to use OpenSuSE Leap 15 with Kernel 5.14.3 to even compile the driver on.

Reply 1401 of 1403, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I probably need to take a look at their most recent release then. I do recall when I got the card a couple of years ago the documentation said it was for 5.x.

Having written a few devices drivers for the kernel before I know how often the interfaces change between major versions; 2 to 3 and then 3 to 4 were huge changes for example.

If they still build against 6.x then that's promising that the card still has a decent amount of life left in it. I don't tend to keep this system at the bleeding edge as it's my main work/storage system.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 1403 of 1403, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gave it a shot on my laptop with RegataOS 24 (OpenSuSE Tumbleweed) running Kernel 6.8.2, and the Magewell driver did fail, but most likely another change since 6.5 is my guess. The most recent driver is from just over a year ago (3/10/2023), but the changelog mentions Kernel 6.1 and 6.2 in it. I'll l0ad up Ubuntu 23.10 as a live distro later, and test there (since it ships with 6.5).

[Edit]
I forgot to mention that if you send Magewell's support team the compilation logs, they tend to work out the error pretty quickly for a driver update. I'll reply/edit once I test on Mantic to see if 6.5 changed something.

[Edit 2]
Ok, so it does not compile on 6.5.0 in Mantic Minotaur (23.10). The current LTS (23.04 Lunar Lobster) does ship with Kernel 6.2. So that version ought to work.