VOGONS

VGA Capture Thread

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 1403, by ShaiWa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The link didn't work but i've found it, first hit in google.
Product page here
Very interesting, hoping for a affordable price 😉
Nice find !

Reply 241 of 1403, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ShaiWa, it works, but the bracket breaks the URL, Phil just has to put tags around it:

avertv.avermedia.com/Upload/ProductImag ... asheet.pdf

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 243 of 1403, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My bad, link fixed 😀

Well I will keep my eye out for it and if it's cheap enough might get one. It should do VGA seeing the resolution is clearly mentioned.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 244 of 1403, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Shmups community just discovered the USB3HDCAP, which appears to be an XCAPTURE-1 without the HDMI passthrough. Same chipset, at any rate, and MUCH more affordable.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1077998#p1077998

I'm thinking of picking up one of these to replace my existing PEXHDCAP, partially for 1080p60 capture, partially for the added flexibility that the USB 3.0 external interface brings. I could use it on a laptop, for instance, and it frees up a PCIe expansion slot inside for other things.

And then I realized I never actually tested that PEXHDCAP properly for VGA capture, only 15 KHz RGB out of old consoles...part of that is the way the computer room's arranged and how much of a pain it is to set up two different computers with different keyboards, mice, etc. around one desk.

Reply 245 of 1403, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NamelessPlayer that would be awesome if you could test this unit!

Let me know if you need any help. I could make an ISO that boots and tests DOS resolutions.

For DOS / VGA capture I've now settled on using the StarTech.com VGA2HDMIPRO VGA to HDIM scaler and AVerMedia Game Capture HD II. I will have a "Let's Play Period Correct" video of Wing Commander III online this afternoon for anyone who's interested.

It's not a cheap solution, but it allows me to record in one hit, change resolutions, unplug the VGA and it will continue recording. The scaler also has a auto-adjust button so I can centre the image whenever I need to. A killer feature for me. With the AVerMedia Game Broadcaster you are at the mercy of the unit. No way to centre the image, depending on the card it's shifted a little to a lot (V1 for example).

Anyone got experience with a EDID emulator? Might need one to get DVI cards to output at 1024 x 768 under DOS.

Reply 246 of 1403, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would like to record some gameplays from retro pc in real time captured straight from vga. I wish to spend small amount on this one and just find this:

For 3dfx card output ->VGA splitter, one for monitor another for the grabber. I found cheap grabber:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EASYCAP-USB-2-0-4-C … =item1c4c924c2d
it has cinch and usb for recording on secondary PC. There is also available VGA to cinch for spare plug on splitter.
But anyone try it like this ? it will work that way? What do you suggest guys to do it cheap&easy.
PS: I think the cheap video grabbers has limit to 25fps
PS2: I think this will give video only. Recording sounds separately will be problematical when it comes to split with video for the final recording

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 247 of 1403, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You say you want to capture VGA but the linked USB device allows video only. I don't see how this should work.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 248 of 1403, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a warning, I've had two EasyCap devices and outside of causing a BSOD they did absolutely nothing.

"Can't get device" or "Fail to build Preview Graph" or "Device 0004 Already in use" and a whole bunch of other bullshit, the most I managed was three seconds of 128x96 15fps capture with a modified device which promptly went back to doing the same crap as before.

My friend used one without issue though, so who knows. Either way, don't expect one to work with anything.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 249 of 1403, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

You say you want to capture VGA but the linked USB device allows video only. I don't see how this should work.

Any suggestion about video capture only? Do you know any cheap way to capture video only from splitter, I alawys can record sound reparately and join it together with video on secondary system. What's the good solution/price for this thread.

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 250 of 1403, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Just a warning, I've had two EasyCap devices and outside of causing a BSOD they did absolutely nothing.

I don't like to buy cheap/useless stuff. But never had of video grabbing opportunity and just consider what solution will be cheap&good to get min.30fps real-time gameplays recorded straight from my old school 3dfx rig 😊

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 251 of 1403, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're doing things on the cheap, get hold of a VGA to S-Video adapter so you don't have to fork out for VGA/Yipper/HDMI stuff...

Can't recommend a grabber as I haven't yet found one had will have to resort to repairing my WinTV Monstrosity; this started life as a WinTV Express but has had S-Video retro-fitted, an audio connector and some other alterations.

One thing to note though, you will end up with interlaced video if you capture this way so you'll need to be able to de-interlace it somehow. Sony Vegas does this and I imagine the Adobe bloatware can too. UVS did too as far as I remember but it wasn't obvious how to make it work in that although the last version I used was from around 1997-1998.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 252 of 1403, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, I think the choice for good grabber have much to say for this thread. Actually I love quality hardware but for this subject I mean don't spend much an see how it works, is it worth all of the effort 😈

Godlike!

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 253 of 1403, by ShaiWa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Question, can the Datapath visionRGB pro1 used for DOS capture?
Can buy one but I'm not sure its a good bargain.
Hope there is someone who has some experience with this capture card.
{Edit some typos}

Reply 254 of 1403, by ShaiWa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've bought the VisionRGB Pro1 card and can confirm it can capture 720x400 @70Hz.
But the supplied software only display's the input VGA, don know how to record with it.

Tried Amarectv but the the image is flipped over and mirrored 🙁
Using the 180 degress option fixes the mirroring but then the collors are inverterd and still the images is flipped over.
Hope someone hase some suggestions? Looks like a nice capture card, have to do some more tests but like to record something 😉

[Edit] Fixed the Amarectv issue, the RGB settings has to be 32bit. Got the hint because a screenshot gave "color setting not supported" massage

Reply 255 of 1403, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- DVI vs VGA outputs different resolutions from same source ?

Somewhat related, and sorry if the answer is obvious...
(tried googling, probably not using the correct magic words)

Was testing a newly acquired AGP card (XFX 6800GT).
Runing vanilla DOS 6.22 on a s775 Asrock mobo.

On the 23inch LCD, analog VGA gives me 720x400/70hz resolution - as expected, and nearly fills the screen when using Aspect Ratio setting.

BUT when using the DVI output (or even HMDI/passive DVI adapter), it automatically gives me 1280x1024@60hz ???

What is going on here I wonder ?
Is the card/GPU version the problem, or the monitor ?
(could be an issue? when I eventually want to try some capturing myself and want/have to use DVI output)

Reply 256 of 1403, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the graphics card the capture card acts like a monitor. This means the graphics card gets the capabilities table from the capture card. So maybe check what capabilities the the capture card delivers on request when plugged to DVI. Maybe the capture cards software allows to set the table contents.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 258 of 1403, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rodimus80 wrote:

Has anyone gotten around to testing the SC-512N1-L/DVI?

Tell us more about it please.