VOGONS

Reply 160 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:
@Vetz: it looks like you have great knowledge about early 3D OEM releases. So, maybe you know the answer. Was there an Actua Soc […]
Show full quote

@Vetz: it looks like you have great knowledge about early 3D OEM releases.
So, maybe you know the answer.
Was there an Actua Soccer 3dfx OEM release? I have the retail EN/FR version backup (the original cd is long ago dead from aging). I have the VR Soccer '96/Whiplash OEM cd somewhere (was included with 1 of Voodoos). But I can't find any trace of an european 3dfx release/OEM.
Tnx.

Yes, there were. It came with the European releases of the Orchid Righteous 3DFX card and it was the OEM Semi Finals version (not full). Please not that the bundle in the Orchid cards was later replaced with Jedi Knight and Sega Rally Championship.

See this auction on Ebay (from 2013):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orchid-Righteous-3D … =p2047675.l2557

I don't own this disc as I only have the US version with VR Soccer, but I'm sure alot of people on this forum do (Artex does not, so don't bother to ask him 🤣). If someone wants to help out with the .exe file please raise your voice 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 161 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

June seems to be the lucky month the hard OEM/bundled discs are found:

impression_disc_small.jpg

Should be interesting to see how Spectre MGA looks compared to the normal version.

Reply 162 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah! 😁

[EDIT] This means you now own or can corroborate the physical existence of every non-Glide 3D proprietary API game on your list, right? 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 164 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Yeah! 😁

[EDIT] This means you now own or can corroborate the physical existence of every non-Glide 3D proprietary API game on your list, right? 😁

I don't own all the discs, for instance I'm missing the Screamer OEM version that came with the Number Nine 332FX (S3 Virge) card. We luckily have a homemade patch available to test the game though (which was posted by a user in this thread!), so not stressing too much to find it. Same goes with full versions of the PowerVR games of Moon Racer and PureVex. Here we have the demos available for testing purposes. The demos are also 1/3 of the full games as the final versions only contain three levels/tracks.

But aside for that, when I get that Impression disc in the mail I have personally tested all the games on the list (except for the Paradise Tasmania as I don't own the card)

Further plans with the list:

- Finish the PowerVR debunked part...
- Make more comparison videos 😀
- Tidy up the list.
- Make OEM disc scans available for all the games I own
- Make Excel version of the list
- Start incorporating compatibility charts for the different cards (ie Battle Race does not run on Creative 3D Blaster PCI cards and not on S3 Virge GX2 cards). Elianda showed me a method using my VGA capturecard to get the FPS from games with proprietary APIs that don't have a built-in framerate counter. If I can make it work it will be possible to give performance benchmarks on the different cards in all supported games.)
- Link to demo were available. Demo must include native support the API listed. Should make it easier for people to download a "package" to test their cards.

Reply 165 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

But aside for that, when I get that Impression disc in the mail I have personally tested all the games on the list (except for the Paradise Tasmania as I don't own the card)

Awesome! Congratulations!

vetz wrote:
Further plans with the list: […]
Show full quote

Further plans with the list:

- Finish the PowerVR debunked part...
- Make more comparison videos 😀
- Tidy up the list.
- Make OEM disc scans available for all the games I own
- Make Excel version of the list
- Start incorporating compatibility charts for the different cards (ie Battle Race does not run on Creative 3D Blaster PCI cards and not on S3 Virge GX2 cards). Elianda showed me a method using my VGA capturecard to get the FPS from games with proprietary APIs that don't have a built-in framerate counter. If I can make it work it will be possible to give performance benchmarks on the different cards in all supported games.)
- Link to demo were available. Demo must include native support the API listed. Should make it easier for people to download a "package" to test their cards.

Can't wait! 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 166 of 661, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Yes, there were. It came with the European releases of the Orchid Righteous 3DFX card and it was the OEM Semi Finals version (not full). Please not that the bundle in the Orchid cards was later replaced with Jedi Knight and Sega Rally Championship.

Err... Don't see Jedi Knight here...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 167 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:
vetz wrote:

Err... Don't see Jedi Knight here...

That looks more like the OEM bundled version than the retail one (since it's also missing Mechwarrior 2 and Descent 2). Back in 1997 I saved some money on buying the OEM version instead of the full retail release. It did not come with the full version games, but I do remember playing the trial versions of Hellbender and Monster Truck Madness to test the card immediately after installing. Those I installed from the driver disc. Unfortunately I sold the card in 1998 along with the disc (to buy a Voodoo2) so I don't own it any longer.

Here is an auction with Sega Rally Championship and Jedi Knight bundled (it is also the driver CD that VirtuaIceMan made public with Sega Rally Championship)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orchid-Righteous-3D … d-/201033945621

Reply 168 of 661, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That Jedi Knight disc doesn't look like the final release, but more like an OEM demo disc, perhaps a longer version of the downloadable demo. That one had Level 9 - Fueling Station, if you ever get your hands on it Vetz I'd be very interested in looking into it!

Reply 169 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

That Jedi Knight disc doesn't look like the final release, but more like an OEM demo disc, perhaps a longer version of the downloadable demo. That one had Level 9 - Fueling Station, if you ever get your hands on it Vetz I'd be very interested in looking into it!

It is indeed an OEM version. It is called "Pathway to the force"
http://www.hw-museum.cz/data/vga/pic/big/Orch … hteous_3D_4.jpg

It seems it was bundled with the Monster 3D card at some point as well:
swgamesdemojediknight

Pathways to the Force
The demo disc for Jedi Knight Dark Forces II is notable for having a subtitle, Pathways to the Force. It contains three levels from the full game and was sold as an OEM. The disc's image is the same as Disc 1 for the full game, but there is also a version that has a yellow layer over the image.

Source

Reply 170 of 661, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

That looks more like the OEM bundled version than the retail one (since it's also missing Mechwarrior 2 and Descent 2). Back in 1997 I saved some money on buying the OEM version instead of the full retail release. It did not come with the full version games, but I do remember playing the trial versions of Hellbender and Monster Truck Madness to test the card immediately after installing. Those I installed from the driver disc. Unfortunately I sold the card in 1998 along with the disc (to buy a Voodoo2) so I don't own it any longer.

Old version of the bundle.
No photos, so there is no simple way to tell the exact number of CDs and the content of CDs.
IIRC there was 4 CDs. 1 CD with drivers and 3 demos. 1 CD is VR Soccer '96/Whiplash 3D combo. Descent II: Destination Quartzon and Mechwarror 2: 31st Century Combat Voodoo Edition use 1 CD each. But this was very long ago and I could forget something...

Reply 171 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:
Old version of the bundle. No photos, so there is no simple way to tell the exact number of CDs and the content of CDs. IIRC the […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:

Old version of the bundle.
No photos, so there is no simple way to tell the exact number of CDs and the content of CDs.
IIRC there was 4 CDs. 1 CD with drivers and 3 demos. 1 CD is VR Soccer '96/Whiplash 3D combo. Descent II: Destination Quartzon and Mechwarror 2: 31st Century Combat Voodoo Edition use 1 CD each. But this was very long ago and I could forget something...

There were three CDs in the original US bundle: 1 CD was drivers, demos and VR Soccer 96: Semifinals and full version Whiplash 3D. Descent II: Destination Quartzon and Mechwarror 2: 31st Century Combat Voodoo Edition use 1 CD each. I own this bundle so I can confirm this.

In the original international bundle you had three CDs as well: 1 CD was drivers, demos and Actua Soccer: Semifinals and full version of Fatal Racing. Descent II: Destination Quartzon and Mechwarror 2: 31st Century Combat Voodoo Edition use 1 CD each.

The updated bundle had two CDs: 1 CD was drivers, demos and full version of Sega Rally Championship. 1 CD was Jedi Knight OEM version. As seen in the Ebay auction.

The OEM version (which was also sold in stores as a cheaper alternative) had 1 CD. The disc had drivers and demos (as linked by GameCollector). I owned this bundle back in 1997/1998.

Reply 172 of 661, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I have tried to do the already completed work.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=155 - version 1.00, cd1: drivers, directx 2, several tech demos, Hellbender trial, Monster Truck Madness trial, VR Soccer '96: Semifinals 3D, Whiplash 3D, Scorched Planet (not marked as the trial version). Plus the Descent II: Destination Quartzon 3D links (in DOS and Win95 installers) with "insert cd2" message.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=159 - version 1.00, cd2: Descent II: Destination Quartzon.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=157 - version 3.01. Drivers, directx 5, several tech demos, Hellbender/Monster Truck Madness/Scorched Planet demos, Sega Rally.
But - there must be versions 2.x. And I remember the version 3.00B of these drivers cds.
By the way, this is offtop already. So if mods can - please move this discussion to the separate thread.

Reply 173 of 661, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

okay.......so after all these years i now learned there IS a way to play screamer 1 and destruction derby on a higher resolution, and it is with a S3 card!! Omg, i never liked those cards but am glad i kept some around.

Thanx a LOT for all the info and great video`s!!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 174 of 661, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:
Well, I have tried to do the already completed work. http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=155 - version 1.00, cd1: dr […]
Show full quote

Well, I have tried to do the already completed work.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=155 - version 1.00, cd1: drivers, directx 2, several tech demos, Hellbender trial, Monster Truck Madness trial, VR Soccer '96: Semifinals 3D, Whiplash 3D, Scorched Planet (not marked as the trial version). Plus the Descent II: Destination Quartzon 3D links (in DOS and Win95 installers) with "insert cd2" message.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=159 - version 1.00, cd2: Descent II: Destination Quartzon.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=157 - version 3.01. Drivers, directx 5, several tech demos, Hellbender/Monster Truck Madness/Scorched Planet demos, Sega Rally.
But - there must be versions 2.x. And I remember the version 3.00B of these drivers cds.
By the way, this is offtop already. So if mods can - please move this discussion to the separate thread.

just found out about this thread/post. Thank you so much for this, I've been searching this cd for the version of sega rally since forever!

Reply 175 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The patch for direct3d support in the retail version of sega rally championship has been available since 2012 here on Vogons/Google.

Reply 176 of 661, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

okay.......so after all these years i now learned there IS a way to play screamer 1 and destruction derby on a higher resolution, and it is with a S3 card!! Omg, i never liked those cards but am glad i kept some around.

Be sure to read up on S3 cards and S3D support. Only Virge cards and maybe Trio3D/2X cards support S3D, and there are large speed differences between the different Virges, also with different RAM speeds.

Reply 177 of 661, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, thank you.

I have 3 S3 cards: S3 trio64v+ (not the right one probably), Diamond stealth 3D 2000,and a S3 virge card with a sticker on the bios chip: 2 the max. I have no clue what the last one is but they both have 8 mem chips (4mb?) and carry the same ``S3 virge on board`` chip.

I guess the diamond is the one to use then? And what cpu is best suited for these card to use it with scramer1 and destruction derby, i guess a p75 is suitable?

Hmm, the 2 the max card has mem chips ending at 40, should be quicker as the diamond then as it ends with 50....right?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 178 of 661, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both Stealth 3D 2000 and 2 the max should use vanilla Virge (86c325) chip. Not a great performer, but highly compatible. I would recommend overclocking and stick with faster one. Even then you will likely want higher s3d performance, that only newer chips provide.

Reply 179 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both those games work with the GX2 chip which is also what the videos are captured on. The Diamond card wont be able to run those games with very good framerate.