Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool, thanks!

Got a different bench running, the VIA Tualatin chipset board but starting with an PIII-1000 EB to get some SLI scaling data.

It's funny, but this is my first SLI experience EVER. With vintage hardware 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 81 of 355, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I'm playing around with Unreal Gold and the timedemo.

On a Monster II I can see there is a "Disable V-sync" option. Is there something similar for the first Voodoo?

Also the performance difference from Voodoo to Voodoo 2 in this benchmark seems a bit suspicious...

Is the performance difference too high or too low?
In case you think it's too high: The Voodoo 2 is clocked higher (90 MHz instead of 50 MHz), it does dual texturing for free which would mean an advantage of 2x for all triangles using dual texturing, and it does have more texture memory so there is less texture swapping. (I think Unreal was not really optimized for only 2 MB of texture memory. With glQuake or Quake II this was not that relevant.)

In case it's too low:
It seems that there is a multitexturing patch for Unreal, don't know if this was included in the Gold version.
Which CPU did you use?

Reply 82 of 355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too high 😀

CPU is a PIII-600.

I captured it and the scores were:

Monster 3D: 16.8
Monster 3D II: 66
Monster 3D SLI: 76.3

However I think V-sync was enabled with the Monster 3D. I couldn't see a setting to disable it (is it enabled by default) and the system is gone, I'm putting W98SE on it now and might have another look. I wanted to use the 1.4S, but the system was unstable, didn't get anywhere today 😒

What would I need to benchmark quake? Would the shareware version with a 3DFX patch do the job?

My YouTube channel

Reply 83 of 355, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The difference is indeed a bit high, although there should be at least a difference of 2x.
Quake 1 is a bit difficult because the shareware doesn't work with glQuake officially, and if you use another source port without this restriction then the results won't be comparable.
Quake 2 shareware should be fine. There is no Glide patch since the game uses OpenGL. A 3dfx miniGL is included, you can also use a miniGL or ICD which is included with the drivers.
Quake 2 profits from dual texturing, too. The larger texture memory might also make a difference, though probably not as much as for Unreal. (Of course depending on the demo and the quality settings in the game.)

Reply 84 of 355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info!

I had to walk away, nothing worked today 😒

The IDE to SATA adapter died and with the PCI controller I had freezes, registry errors, blue screens and just a really rough time 😢

Swapped heaps of parts, but I guess it's one of those days...

At least I figured out the Battle Isle 2 GOG.com issue 🤣

Something I also notice is how bad the picture looks on a LCD monitor. 640 x 480 doesn't scale nicely.

My YouTube channel

Reply 85 of 355, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note to self: "3Dfx Interactive" became "3dfx interactive" on March 16 1999, right around the launch of 3dfx Voodoo3.

However, there was a Voodoo2 reissues under the new "3dfx" logo, and Voodoo3 prototypes before this name change used the old logo, so it's not a completely cut-and-dry dividing line.

Sorry, a bit off topic but I was looking for an appropriate thread to stash this nugget.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 86 of 355, by dario82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:
Current Voodoo 3 test results (NOT FINAL!): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57506833/vogons/diverse/v3_3dfx.PNG […]
Show full quote

Current Voodoo 3 test results (NOT FINAL!):
v3_3dfx.PNG

i have a voodoo3 3000 in win98 se, Screamer2 and Screamer Rally work with patch 3dfx but i see many errors in the menu of this games

i have try with directx 6.1 and 8.1
I have tried everything and it does not work...

my card works fine and others games with 3dfx work perfectly

What can I do?

Attachments

• Filename
    2014-02-11 11.22.51.jpg
    File size
    998.43 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    2014-02-11 11.22.30.jpg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    2014-02-11 11.22.14.jpg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    2014-02-11 11.21.46.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 87 of 355, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some interesting notes here, vetz:
Re: help me please voodoo3 drivers & directx

Stiletto

Reply 88 of 355, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EF-2000 3dfx runs on a V2 with environmental values added to autoexec.bat to make it run like a V1. Don't have the lines handy, will post later if needed.

Wait, here they are:

SET SST_GRXCLK=90
SET SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
SET SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
SET SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
SET SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2

Reply 90 of 355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Noticed that forsaken seems to be locked to 60 fps, even if you disable V-sync in the driver. Anyone know a way around this?

My YouTube channel

Reply 92 of 355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I get max 58 for the demo, no matter the machine and card. I might not use Forsaken for the Voodoo 2.

EDIT: Fixed the issue. I didn't have the correct device selected when you launch the game 😊

My YouTube channel

Reply 93 of 355, by Angelamigo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi friends, nice to meet you.I used to love Prost Grand Prix game in my early ages, now I want to play it again in my win 7 64 .No matter what I do, it always starts on 2d mode, no 3dfx available (and no error messages). I tried nGlide - Dos box glide patches, wrappers... I am almost sure problem is in the PGP version I have. Or do you think I may need to install windows 98 from DosBOX in order to run it?

I used to remember, in my old Windows 98 computer (with a simple voodoo 3dfx card), the PGP CD I used to have (the Prost Grand Prix windows 95 version, with a 3dfx logo in the case), run perfectly both in 3dfx and non 3dfx modes. I think I just run with a win 95 shortcut to "PGP.exe 3dfx", and started in 3dfx perfectly.

I saw there is a "Alain Prost Grand Prix 3D fix -author: Highlander-" with dead links in internet. Does any of you have that fix? Could any help me on getting the files that may fix my problem? (the PGP.exe may be?).

Sorry for all my questions, after months of research, I think this forum is my last hope.

Thanks and have a great week!

Reply 95 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Angelamigo wrote:
Hi friends, nice to meet you.I used to love Prost Grand Prix game in my early ages, now I want to play it again in my win 7 64 . […]
Show full quote

Hi friends, nice to meet you.I used to love Prost Grand Prix game in my early ages, now I want to play it again in my win 7 64 .No matter what I do, it always starts on 2d mode, no 3dfx available (and no error messages). I tried nGlide - Dos box glide patches, wrappers... I am almost sure problem is in the PGP version I have. Or do you think I may need to install windows 98 from DosBOX in order to run it?

I used to remember, in my old Windows 98 computer (with a simple voodoo 3dfx card), the PGP CD I used to have (the Prost Grand Prix windows 95 version, with a 3dfx logo in the case), run perfectly both in 3dfx and non 3dfx modes. I think I just run with a win 95 shortcut to "PGP.exe 3dfx", and started in 3dfx perfectly.

I saw there is a "Alain Prost Grand Prix 3D fix -author: Highlander-" with dead links in internet. Does any of you have that fix? Could any help me on getting the files that may fix my problem? (the PGP.exe may be?).

Sorry for all my questions, after months of research, I think this forum is my last hope.

Thanks and have a great week!

You should go over to the NGlide forums and ask there. This thread is for running the game on the actual hardware (more specifically Voodoo2). According to NGlide's compatibility list it should work:

To play you must install DOSBox with Gulikoza's patch.
Read nGlide's FAQ for more details.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 96 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't have this game, so - can't test it with nGlide.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 97 of 355, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Angelamigo wrote:

Internet Archive to the rescue...
http://web.archive.org/web/20000815095300/htt … ips/apf1fix.zip

Stiletto

Reply 98 of 355, by Angelamigo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to all. Finally, I managed to run Prost Grand Prix in 3dfx, was a matter of a missing PGP3DFX.ini file missing in some directories. Runs like charm in patched DOSBOX with nGlide.

Reply 99 of 355, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

with what system specs and setings do you guys get screamer 2 and screamer rally working on v2 and v3?

here only my v1 system works perfectly with both and i got only screamer rally running on v2 but with a little bit of corruption. screamer 2 i can`t get to work with v2 (tested different exe`s from the web) and v3 will not work on both games except software mode ofcourse...

please help me out with exact details on settings, and if it can be done from 98se, 98se dos or pure dos?

these are my favorite 3dfx games!!!!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1