VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I got a small form factor system with a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5440 on the motherboard and have not had a chance to play with it.
What's it able to do? Like max res and 3d? and so on.

I'm going to guess that it lacks 3d and maybe maxes out around 1024x768 or something. But I really don't know anything about it.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Phil has a video with it. Even called it his favorite for DOS I think.
It's 2d only and I have a couple of them with 2MB of RAM. I remember using these at 1024 under NT4.

Reply 2 of 10, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elod wrote:

Phil has a video with it. Even called it his favorite for DOS I think.
It's 2d only and I have a couple of them with 2MB of RAM. I remember using these at 1024 under NT4.

Was that not the CL-5446 and not the CL-5440?
The 5446 beats the 5440. None are 3d cards.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a good start to look for capabilities http://www.plasma-online.de/english/identify/ … rrus_logic.html

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 10, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have several boards with CL-GD5446 (not CL-GD5440) integrated. All 1 MB RAM, but two of the machines can be upgraded to 2 MB. I haven't done this because the required chips are so expensive.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

I have several boards with CL-GD5446 (not CL-GD5440) integrated. All 1 MB RAM, but two of the machines can be upgraded to 2 MB. I haven't done this because the required chips are so expensive.

I once bought an S3 graphics card specifically because it had the add-on memory slots filled. I paid around $12 for the card, then pulled the memory chips out to to use in other places. It usually cheaper to do this then buy the memory chips by themselves.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
Errius wrote:

I once bought an S3 graphics card specifically because it had the add-on memory slots filled. I paid around $12 for the card, then pulled the memory chips out to to use in other places. It usually cheaper to do this then buy the memory chips by themselves.

Isn't it just nasty somehow to see all those empty memory sockets and knowing you can't fill all of em up? 😢

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 10, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I benched my 5446 up against a S3-Trio64v+ and S3-Virge-325 on a Pentium-133.
I found that they really do not differ that much in speed, they are basically the same.
To make each one outperform the others, you need something way more beefy.
I found the same on a 5x86-133 system. Were the 5446 were slightly faster.
On the P-133 it was one of the S3 cards.

This however is not that much they differ all in all. Only a benchmark suite can tell
that one is faster than the other. In actual gaming, they feel exactly the same speedwise.
The only difference is the quality of the image, were CL cards are a bit warmer
and has a bit more vibrant colours to it. Both of the S3 cards are colder and way more
sharp in their image quality. The S3-Virge I have is a Number9 card, and it is really
bright compared to the S3-Trio64. I had to turn down the light-setting on the monitor.
All this however is on a TFT monitor and not a CRT.
To me, the CL-5446 makes the screen look a bit like it was an old CRT.
This however is only an optical illusion, yet I prefer the CL card over the two S3 cards.

Pricewise they differ extremely. So my conclusion is that you need to go for the cheapest.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
Errius wrote:

Even if they're surface mounted, that's what my heat gun is for. 😎

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
Errius wrote:

Even if they're surface mounted, that's what my heat gun is for. 😎

Ah, good point! Is it hard to bend the leads into J's uniformly?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks