VOGONS

Is this GPU Worth Keeping?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 40, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well the i740 is an interesting piece of history in my opinion. It was the first 3D card designed specifically for the AGP bus and it had a large amount of hype prior to launch due to the partnership of the CPU behemoth with Real3D, which was a spin-off division of Lockheed Martin intending to bring their military-grade 3D technology to the masses, and was already being used in Sega's then-incredible Model 3 arcade machines. All that hype shattered when the Voodoo2 released and outperformed it by a large margin despite using the "outdated" PCI bus.

A variant of the i740 was eventually integrated into Intel's i810 chipset and formed the basis of Intel's integrated graphics line which would go on to be a huge success in the lowend to mainstream PC market.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 21 of 40, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The i740 chip was at the heart of the very first video card I ever purchased back in 1999, the Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB AGP card. Believe it or not, it was a good card for me for the time because it let me play Final Fantasy 7 and 8 at 640 x 480 fluidly, let me play Half-Life at 800 x 600 at playable framerates with only a bit of stuttering in heavy loading (between zones). It was on my ASUS P2B with a 350MHz Pentium II and 128MB of RAM and I used that all the way up to building a new system in 2002 around the Athlon XP 1800+ and a Radeon 7500 64MB card. I almost wish I still had it for my Windows 98 rebuild of that system, because I would have gladly used it as a 2D card paired with the dual Voodoo2 cards I have in there now, but oh well. Now that system has a Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 32MB card which is about on-par with the SLI Voodoo2 pair.

I think a lot of people hate on stuff if they don't have it themselves. It really made good use of the AGP bus before anyone else did, but no - it wasn't an ultra-performance 3D card. Those titles go do 3dfx in 1998/99.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 22 of 40, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

The i740 chip was at the heart of the very first video card I ever purchased back in 1999, the Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB AGP card. Believe it or not, it was a good card for me for the time because it let me play Final Fantasy 7 and 8 at 640 x 480 fluidly, let me play Half-Life at 800 x 600 at playable framerates with only a bit of stuttering in heavy loading (between zones). It was on my ASUS P2B with a 350MHz Pentium II and 128MB of RAM and I used that all the way up to building a new system in 2002 around the Athlon XP 1800+ and a Radeon 7500 64MB card. I almost wish I still had it for my Windows 98 rebuild of that system, because I would have gladly used it as a 2D card paired with the dual Voodoo2 cards I have in there now, but oh well. Now that system has a Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 32MB card which is about on-par with the SLI Voodoo2 pair.

I think a lot of people hate on stuff if they don't have it themselves. It really made good use of the AGP bus before anyone else did, but no - it wasn't an ultra-performance 3D card. Those titles go do 3dfx in 1998/99.

I did a system upgrade in 1999 and purchased an i740 video card whose manufacturer I can't recall. In terms of 3D performance it blasted away the S3 Trio64V2 it replaced, but I can't remember much joy it brought me before its heatsink broke off a few months later. All I can remember is how poorly it was made; I can clearly remember it had a non-flashable PROM on it. It was then replaced by an ATi Rage 128GL with 16MB VRAM and its fate after the replacement remained unknown.
Had I got this card today I would still sell it. For 2D performance I would prolly go for a Matrox, ATi, or S3 made by Diamond or STB.

Reply 23 of 40, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I think they went roughly the same way as Verité 2100. There used to be quite a lot of them but more of them went into the bin. For Rendition this probably had to do with not having drivers for XP (not sure about i740).

They aren't very common these days anymore. I think more of the i740's were tossed as not many people wanted to keep these and most weren't PCI (PCI was much more sought after back in the early 2000s)

i740 is recorgnized on Windows XP without issues, Windows XP has drivers for that GPU out of the box

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 24 of 40, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel 740 is not common, but the PCI version of it is very rare

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 26 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I think they went roughly the same way as Verité 2100. There used to be quite a lot of them but more of them went into the bin. For Rendition this probably had to do with not having drivers for XP (not sure about i740).

They aren't very common these days anymore. I think more of the i740's were tossed as not many people wanted to keep these and most weren't PCI (PCI was much more sought after back in the early 2000s)

i740 is recorgnized on Windows XP without issues, Windows XP has drivers for that GPU out of the box

Yes but the Rendition 2100 did not have drivers for XP and that's why my boss threw all of them in the bin and it's how I got most of mine (because I was allowed to take them).

The i740 was never one of the more interesting graphics cards when looking at the second hand market and it may be that that's one of the main reasons why these were thrown away more often. That and because there always seemed to be better graphics cards available so the i740s were never preferred (unless we almost literally had nothing else to put into those AGP slots, only then would we actually use an i740).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 40, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, OK, the card has had a last minute reprieve and has been resurrected from the garbage! 🤣

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 28 of 40, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it would have been the PCI variant, I'd have been more than willing to take it from you. The only reason I'd want the PCI variant is because I like testing these early 3D cards in PCI 486 systems. For AGP, I think you should still keep it. In 10 years you'll realise how short-sighted you were. These cards weren't very common and, as others have said, constitute an interesting part of GPU history.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 30 of 40, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

What are some games that would run reasonably well on this Intel card?

Plenty of early 3D games. Something like Unreal is giving it hard time at 640x480, but less demanding ones are just fine.

Reply 31 of 40, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice. I really got to check out these slower cards one day. Get some older games together as well. Turok should run well on this card.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 32 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Nice. I really got to check out these slower cards one day. Get some older games together as well. Turok should run well on this card.

Would be especially interesting to see all those different Ati Rage cards, there's sooo many variants of those out there...

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 40, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my old system with the Diamond Stealth II G460 (Intel i740) 8MB AGP, I played the following stuff just fine:

Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Half-Life
Diablo
Diablo II (with 3D drawing environment effects on)
Baldur's Gate II
Rainbow Six - Rogue Spear
Rainbow Six - Covert Ops

Well, that's about it because that's what I had at the time. I didn't have a lot of money to spend on games. But I'm pretty sure it would have run Quake I & II just fine.

By fine, I mean at least 640 x 480 and around 40 FPS or slightly better.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 34 of 40, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does actually sound like it will be useful sometime. Glad you guys persuaded me to keep it!

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 35 of 40, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. It is now on it's way to silicon heaven.

🙁 don't trash it, send it to me.

The i810 is the Same Core and on many P3 Mainboards.
I have this Chip on my IPAQ Desktop PC with 4Mb Cache.
Even Quake 3 works with it.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 36 of 40, by Tek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Funny to see this thread up this week. I literally just bought one of these on eBay, with the intention of putting it into my Win98 build. I've been running a somewhat anachronistic Riva TNT2, but wanted to scale back to a more apt 1998-specific build. I'm now running a Stealth II G460 alongisde my V2s.

Over the weekend I'll be playing some games and running some benchmarks (if the card turns up today). @philscomputerlab I'll let you know how I get on.

We'll karaoke all night long, macarena 'til the break of dawn.

Reply 37 of 40, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a big bunch of cards recently and there was a i740 in the bundle. It is an agp version. I'll keep it but i may never use it.

My brother had one back in the day and as far as i remember we both had a p1- 233mmx. I had a s3 trio 4mb with voodoo1 and he had the intel. We played the same games and it wasn't bad for the money. The voodoo1 was a lot older ofcourse and the Intel could use higher res. Games like nfs III comes to mind.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 38 of 40, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am thinking more and more about using it in a new build. I already have 2 486's and a Pentium 2 build. Would this card fit a Pentium one better?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 39 of 40, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote:
:( don't trash it, send it to me. […]
Show full quote

Thanks. It is now on it's way to silicon heaven.

🙁 don't trash it, send it to me.

The i810 is the Same Core and on many P3 Mainboards.
I have this Chip on my IPAQ Desktop PC with 4Mb Cache.
Even Quake 3 works with it.

I have to admit that I got a bit of a soft spot for 810 era boards even though the vast majority are oem junk, someday boards with it will be sought after once supplies of better boards dries up and the prices become absurd for most. They make decent matx builds with voodoo 1/2 along with either the IGP or something like a TNT2 or a Matrox ect.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.