VOGONS

First post, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i wanted to get back into dos/98 gaming so i bought a compaq presario 1675 laptop on ebay to replace my compaq presario 1692 which died on me a few weeks ago that i bought brand new back in the day... which was great for dos/98 gaming and has the ess sound card which works perfect in dos, But the problem im having now is dvd playback i wanted to use it to watch my old dvds also, I never had a issue with my 1692 playing dvds back than, But on this its very choppy like stop and going but the sound seems to be working perfect...

This laptop came with a dvd from new so i don't get why its not playing them. Ony thing diffrent is the k6 380 vs mine that had a 433mhz k6 everything is the same except the cpu and the screens which this one has a 14.1 vs mine 12.1inch. Oh and the ram is 192mb vs 64mb on my old one.

This is on a fresh install of win98se and i tried powerdvd windvd and media player classic with kcodec lite and they all give bad playback issues.. some software says cant detect the encoder? I was thinking maybe something is dieing on it but i tried windows 98se on my other older compaq 700us laptop which i got back running which came with winxp and that also has the same issue on 98 which also has 900mhz 256mb ram and a 16mb s3 twister card.

Than i put winxp back on it and it has no issues playing dvds so it has to be with win98 maybe some software or something is missing that i need?

Like i said the 1692 played dvds back than with no issues in stock form. I also tried the hdd from the 1692 into the 1675 after it detected the hardware which i don't know why it did cause its the same hardware minus the cpu and screen.. it booted into win98 but i just couldn't get anything running dvds or even games with out it freezing up and giving me a blue screen.. What i was hopeing that would've work and everything would've been fine like it was back than. cause it have a compaq dvd player software. Which i cant find anywhere on the net... Just says compaq in red letters on the bottom.. would've just image the old hdd right over to the new one and just use that..

edit found the dvd software called dvdexpress.. Still the same issue tho very low fps and it speeds up than slows down all threw the dvd... I do notice also for the disk name it says undefined not sure if that means anything? in windows media classic it says its ony getting 10fps...

Reply 1 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you enable DMA on both the HDD and DVDROM within Win98? You may need to install the VIA 4-in-1 driver for DMA to work properly.

It's also possible the video driver isn't supporting DXVA. That laptop has ATI Rage LT, right? If so look here for details about its DXVA support and drivers:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060427060938/www … hosein/rpro.htm

Reply 2 of 15, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep both are on dma in properties, Will try the 4 in 1 drivers. I just tried the drivers on that site you link and still have the same issue:( I just don't understand this should be playing dvds smoothly... Cause the 1692 didn't have a issue doing it which is pretty much the same hardware.. I thought it was hardware fault somewhere, But when i had 98 on my compaq 700us everything work fine except dvd playback too pretty much had the same issue as the 1675, Till i install xp on it and playback is perfect. I also have another laptop with win98 which is a xp laptop a dell c640 which has no issues at all on dvds but than again the cpu is a 2.4ghz p4 with a 32mb ati 7500 probably over powering 98 even if it did have the same issue 🤣

Also installed all updates for win98se with the unofficial pack.

Also i notice in my computer it just says undefined instead of the dvd name? it was like this on the Compaq 700us when it had 98 also..

Was thinking of putting another hdd in it and install xp just too see if it does it on there too. but not keeping it on xp cause i bought it for dos/98 gaming which is perfect for those. or doing a dual boot and if xp works good with dvds will just use xp for dvds and that,s it.

Reply 3 of 15, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you please use better punctuation and capitalization in your posts? Right now they are kinda hard to read.

With the amount of RAM you have, DVDs should play fine with hardware acceleration (you need a video card supporting MPEG decoding for DVDs though). Without hardware acceleration things might get bottlenecked on the CPU. However, the DVD reading behaviour description does sound like your DVD drive has problems reading the discs. Depending on the age of the drive and the amount of use it saw that could be due to a hardware issue such as a dying laser or dirt on the lens, or simply due to compatibility issues with certain DVDs (some drives choke on badly mastered DVDs or DVDs with a high error rate).

Reply 4 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Software may be a issue, too. DXVA was not supported on Win 98, so players had to have their own acceleration support.

Your best choice would be using an old version of PowerDVD that supports your video card (maybe PowerDVD 1.6?).

Another option would be using an old version of GeeXboX (a bootable Linux CD). It was able to software decode DVDs on my Pentium II @ 333 (I don't remember if it was over clocked to 375 when I did the tests). You'll need to boot from CD, but you won't need to install anything on your HDD.

P.S.: I made those tests with GeeXboX 0.9 and 1.0. Later versions are "heavier" so they run slower on low end computers. BTW GeeXboX runs from RAM, the CD can be ejected after loading so you can load your own DVD.

Last edited by Zup on 2017-01-23, 08:35. Edited 1 time in total.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 15, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry guys not used to typing on phone.. But yea im not sure if the dvd is on its way out but than again the compaq 700us did the same thing when it was on windows 98 but is fine on xp.

Nope the dvd is pretty quiet after it loads, I just don't get it with the same software the 1692 had which i finally found it still has the issues. Cant install the dvd files on the hdd right now cause ony 6gb Hdd, The dvds are the ones i used to play on the 1692 house on the haunted hill and sometimes they come back very old dvds.

Is there isos for geexbox 0.9 1.0? Cause i cant find any bootable isos for older versions than 1.5.

I did check the cpu % with a software while playing and the % will be 90 to 98% while running.

Reply 7 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gordesky1 wrote:

Is there isos for geexbox 0.9 1.0? Cause i cant find any bootable isos for older versions than 1.5.

Where exactly were you looking..?
http://download.geexbox.org/releases/

I had a preference for MoviX back in the day, since it has a better UI, but old versions of Geexbox are probably more up-to-date as far as drivers and playback are concerned.

Reply 8 of 15, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about Windows 98, but for my retro Windows XP system with a DVD drive, I had minor issues with most higher-level DVD playback software, so I switched to VLC Player. It's small and fast and it plays my DVDs smooth as silk Not sure how to get it working for Windows 98 - there's either an older version or they suggest using some kind of compatibility layer for Windows 2000/XP programs to run on Windows 98. Check out their website and see if that might not work better for you.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 9 of 15, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried geexbox-0.90-1.iso on it and its worse its like 2fps.. and about 2inchs of the screen on bottom is gobbled.. When i get the chance i will either pop my old 1692 drive into this one which i have to take most of the laptop apart to even do that.. Or just put in a bigger hdd and try playing them from the hdd.

Even tho the drive play everything else fast i guess it cant handle dvds... Even tho after loading the drive is smooth and quiet... Just don.t get it tho the 700us was the same on 98 but on xp its fine...

Reply 10 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm getting confused about exactly what you're doing. You're running Geexbox on exactly the same hardware – motherboard, cpu, drive, and everything else – that gave you smooth playback in Windows XP?

Reply 12 of 15, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I'm getting confused about exactly what you're doing. You're running Geexbox on exactly the same hardware – motherboard, cpu, drive, and everything else – that gave you smooth playback in Windows XP?

The xp im talking about is on the 700us while the 1675 1692 is win98 laptops. I never tried xp on the 1675 yet. What im saying if it wasn't clear in the other posts the compaq 700us had the same problem as the 1675 with dvds when 98 was installed on it. But when i installed xp back on it dvds was smooth.

Reply 13 of 15, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrau wrote:

does it play well if you copy the files to hd? how long does it need to copy the files?

Didn't try it yet because of 6gb hdd and the dvd is almost 5gbs. So i need to put a bigger hdd in it before i do that.

I wonder can i put the dvd files on a flash and play it from there? Or will it be to slow compare to the dvd rom?

Reply 15 of 15, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have a update. I found another 1675 on ebay days ago cause i needed parts from it for my current one lcd casing cause mine is cracked.. But turns out the parts machine turn into a full working laptop So thats my current one now. The weird thing is. i took the hdd out of my old one and put it in this one and guess what same dvd issue....

So i pop the the one it came with back in cause it does have win98fe and also have the recovery partition still intact and works so i restored it back to factory and dvds play smoothly..... But on win98se they slow down and choppy.. So it was nothing wrong with the hardware.

Is there a reason behind this? Cause i ran the same drivers software on the windows 98se install and it still had issues.

I would like to have 98se on it cause it seems much stabler than fe and faster, But yea dvd doesn't play smoothly... I tried using a win98se upgrade cd to try upgrading it too see if that worked but it errors out with a white error box after checking the the c drive... So thats a no go.