VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I found that my video card (Sapphire HD3450 AGP) having the FDD power supply connector seems to have a problem. If the connector moves when attached, the power led on the back of the card, shut off like a false contact. I'd say that even if the connector seems to be stricky fixed on it if moves even a bit horizontally loose contact or short in some way.
Do you know if others had the same problem? The psu is a good Enermax one with all the 5V power I need.
Thank

Reply 1 of 2, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It sounds like your power connector on your card has a bad solder joint and needs to be resoldered or the molex connector is worn out and not making a good connection ether one should be an easy fix.

Reply 2 of 2, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote:

It sounds like your power connector on your card has a bad solder joint and needs to be resoldered or the molex connector is worn out and not making a good connection ether one should be an easy fix.

Problem "solved". The problem is the vga white plastic and not the metal pin itself. Basically it moves out of the solder points and leaving few space to the psu connector that has no enough grip on the metal pins. Now I pushed the plastic inside again but also I think that they could have put a better rail on the vga connector to not let the connector moving too easily. I understand why the floppy connector hasn't been used a lot for this cards. The other newer 12v connectors are much stronger connections beside power requirement.