VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. My XP rig has been underperforming in benchmarks and some games - so I decided to take a look and see what was wrong - I noticed the video card was running at PCI-E 1.1 4x... I did the usual (update drivers, update BIOS, check BIOS settings, re-seat the video card) to no avail - I even tried other PCI-E slots - still runs at 4x. I swapped it for a 8800GTX and guess what - it runs at PCI-E 1.0 16x - so there's theoretically nothing wrong with the motherboard... then I put the GTX 280 in my guest gaming machine (Asrock 970 gen 3) and it ran at PCI-E 2.0 16x... what gives? Any ideas? Here's the machine in question:

Intel Q6600 B0 @ 3GHz (9x333Mhz)
Asus P5K64 WS (Intel P35 DDR3)
2x2GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz CL9
EVGA GTX 280 + Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme
Corsair VS650
2x250GB SATA HDD (1xWD 1xSeagate)
Xfi Xtreme Audio PCI
Huge Chieftec server case (made out of recycled WW2 KV-1 heavy tanks)

pQGj312h.jpg

In 3dmark06 the 280 + stock cooler got about 15k points with the same parts but using a Zotac nforce 780i mainboard and 2GB of 1066MHz DDR2 ram - the card ran at 16x. With the P35 and the card running at 4x it gets a sad 12500 pts, witch is about on par with a 2900XT, and less then the 13400 points my 8800GTX gets...

So what do you think is going on? Any input is good input...

Reply 1 of 5, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Check PCI-e slot for dust/hair, try a few times to insert and release GTX 280 from first PCI-e slot on P5K64 WS MB (maybe some contacts are dirty...).

2) Are you sure it's "x4" speed, and not "x1" ?
Because, there is a option in BIOS to force "x1", but not "x4".
Clearing CMOS (from removing battery w/no AC power connected), should do the trick for the "x1" speed.

3) It's either : Q6600 B3 or G0, there is no "B0" 😉

157143230295.png

Reply 3 of 5, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try removing the sound card, if you didn't do it already.
Can you put a different CPU?
Also, I've looked at the MB's manual and saw this, maybe it will help:
Bez_tytu_u.png

Reply 4 of 5, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrMateczko wrote:
Try removing the sound card, if you didn't do it already. Can you put a different CPU? Also, I've looked at the MB's manual and […]
Show full quote

Try removing the sound card, if you didn't do it already.
Can you put a different CPU?
Also, I've looked at the MB's manual and saw this, maybe it will help:
Bez_tytu_u.png

I didn't try removeing the sound card - but it's running on a PCI bus, and the 8800GTS runs fine at 16x with the sound card in the machine. Worth a try tough so I'll give it a shot.

I was actually pondering re-seating the CPU. I vaguely remember encountering similar issues quite a long time ago when I used to run a computer repair shop - I had a machine that displayed the exact same behavior - the thing is I can't remember if it was LGA775 or LGA1156... witch is important because the PCI-E controller on 1156 is on the CPU, while on LGA775 has it in the northbridge... I'll give that a shot as well.