VOGONS

First post, by findcount

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my desktop uses a built-in graphic card and when i connected a new monitor - 23-inch (1920 x 1080@60Hz) via VGA connection and there's intermittent bad flickering and horizontal flashes.........

i used the monitor as a tv using HDMI connection and it's fine........i connected 2 lower resolution monitors (1366 x 768) and (640 x 480) and there's no flickering.......VGA connection

i've read that people using the same graphic card got no problems with FHD monitors.......so what could be the cause of my flickering ?........how can i be sure it's the monitor's fault ?

i've also read that a lower quality VGA cable might be the cause so perhaps a better quality SVGA cable might be the solution ?

Reply 1 of 2, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both my modern FHD monitors display flickering over VGA. It's less noticeable when using a nice thick VGA cable, but it's still there. The flickering goes away on only one of the two when lowering the resolution to 720p. The only thing you can do to get rid of it is use a digital input (DVI / HDMI).

Reply 2 of 2, by findcount

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Both my modern FHD monitors display flickering over VGA. It's less noticeable when using a nice thick VGA cable, but it's still there. The flickering goes away on only one of the two when lowering the resolution to 720p. The only thing you can do to get rid of it is use a digital input (DVI / HDMI).

the flickering i have is like horizontal flashes up and down the screen with colour changes but intermittent.......the flickering is similar to when my previous Samsung 19-inch monitor (1366x768) was starting to fail before the lcd panel was changed.........but the new monitor works just fine with HDMI (when used as a tv).....that's why i suspect the monitor's VGA connection may be faulty......or i need a good SVGA cable since the one i'm using is ancient and thin...........

someone suggested to use a USB to HDMI adaptor............will that work ??