VOGONS

First post, by jnjg25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so i bought 2 pci VOODOO 2 12mb sli cards , i have sevral pentium 2s 3s and 4s and some amd counterparts i was curious what computer would be the best to put them in, im thinking pentium 4s, also can you have 2 pci cards and 1 agp?

Reply 1 of 6, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jnjg25 wrote:

what computer would be the best to put them in

I'd suggest Pentium 3. P2 might become a bottleneck in some games at low resolutions while a P4 is a bit of an overkill. Nothing wrong with going with any of these, but from my personal view, a P3 would be a good balance of power and era-correctness.

jnjg25 wrote:

have 2 pci cards and 1 agp?

Yes.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 3 of 6, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Adding some 35-25mm heatsinks using 3M tape worked fine for me.

P_20160915_201231.jpg
Filename
P_20160915_201231.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 5 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another vote for Pentium 3. A coppermine of around 800MHz should be more than enough 😜

For Voodoo 2 SLI you could opt for something similar as a Voodoo 3. Personally I like using a single Voodoo 2 in ss7, but most people seem to want to run SLI (which should work perfectly fine on ss7).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 6, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Tetrium wrote:

Another vote for Pentium 3. A coppermine of around 800MHz should be more than enough 😜

For Voodoo 2 SLI you could opt for something similar as a Voodoo 3. Personally I like using a single Voodoo 2 in ss7, but most people seem to want to run SLI (which should work perfectly fine on ss7).

Its not the increase of graphic's people desire alone. I sold a voodoo 2 recently and he wanted SLI for the sole reason that he couldn't afford it back then and wants to try it now.
The other reason (which is why I use SLI in my p2) is because of higher fps and resolution.
A voodoo 3 just doesn't fit a p2 I'm but could run on a p3 or ss7 just fine (or banshee ofc)